Sun Devils cool down the Aztecs

SDSU senior Meaghan Poland scored one of the Aztecs’ three goals on Saturday. | File Photo

The No. 5 San Diego State water polo team traveled to Tempe, Ariz. to take on the No. 6 Arizona State Sun Devils on Saturday.

Although SDSU defeated ASU the week prior and went 3-2 in the UC Irvine Invitational, the team didn’t have the same luck this weekend.

The Sun Devils took a 2-0 lead early in the first quarter, which left the Aztecs playing catch up the rest of the game.

Freshman utility Taelor Moreno scored SDSU’s first goal in the last three minutes of the opening quarter, but another goal from ASU gave it a 3-1 advantage at the end of the first quarter.

Senior two-meter defense Leanne Ford was able to snag a quick goal during the opening possession of the second quarter to make the score 3-2.

However, the Sun Devils added three more goals and led 6-3 at halftime.

In the second half, ASU robbed the Aztecs of any comeback hopes. Even though SDSU’s defense allowed only one Sun Devil goal in the third quarter, five goals in the fourth quarter made the deficit impossible for the Aztecs to come back from.

Senior utility Meaghan Poland scored the third and final goal for the Aztecs with 16 seconds left in the game, making the final score 12-3. Senior goalkeeper Kelly Campoli finished with nine saves.

SDSU will be back in action at 5 p.m. on Friday in Los Angeles, when the team takes on USC.

Sun Devils cool down the Aztecs