Traveling with an organic, agricultural twist

Courtesy of WWOOF.org

Studying abroad can be a great way to experience a subject in ways that might never have been expected. However, with a hefty price tag attached to such an endeavor, it’s no wonder why many students find it difficult to manage making that trek in addition to already mounting student loans. While some insist the price is worth it, and with good reason, the financial problems posed by traveling abroad still remain. The solution for some is in adventuring a different way.

World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms is an organization designed for the eco-friendly traveler with a modest budget and strong work ethic. The organization essentially matches volunteers, known as WWOOFers, with organic farms all across the world. Farmers receive volunteers to work their farms in exchange for room and board. WWOOFers gain firsthand experience in organic farming and the international perspective that comes from traveling.

Founded in the United Kingdom in 1971, WWOOF has since expanded to five other continents. Potential WWOOFers are able to read about and communicate with farms before finalizing travel plans, which helps to ease the worries that come with traveling internationally. The farms come in every shape and size and with destinations in nearly every type of environment, so there’s sure to be a fit for everyone.

Additionally, all locations listed on the WWOOF website are verified to adhere to the standards set by WWOOF since its beginning. All the farms must currently grow using organic methods, be in the process of transitioning to organic farming or use environmentally conscious methods of farming. Legitimate locations are updated regularly, ensuring no volunteers contact farms that are no longer accepting WWOOFers.

Interested volunteers can begin their experience by logging onto www.WWOOF.org and selecting a location. From there, individuals are directed to the websites for the separate WWOOF organizations for each region. Some organizations require a small fee to keep their networks in operation, but others are free of charge. Organizations that charge for membership amount to about $30. That amount, along with airfare, are the only charges a user will come across while navigating through the WWOOFing process. All that is also required is a passion for the ethics standards organic farming.

For anyone interested in ecologically sound farming and who doesn’t mind learning a little unconventionally, WWOOFing might just be the way to go. It’s an out-of-the-box getaway, or simply the opportunity for an unforgettable summer trip. Either way, the experience is sure to be remembered for a lifetime.