Unbucket helps plan adventures with friends

Thinkstock

Kicking the bucket: one of the English language’s euphemisms used to make the idea of death lighter. Yet a deeper look into its history reveals not something quaint and dandy, but a practice during the Middle Ages of kicking a bucket to foster a hanging. While this is fairly morbid etymology, the term has carried over to the common practice of creating “bucket lists.” Ironic, right?

Unbucket, a sprouting mobile app, gives people a platform to create a list of fun activities they want to do with friends before they graduate. Co-founder Elliot Darvick assures the app is nothing like the grim idea of “kicking the bucket.”

Darvick explained the idea for the app came from the most sentimental source he knows— his mother.

“The genesis of the idea began withalistIgavetomymomof 10 things we could do together for Mother’s Day,” Darvick said. “She was in Detroit and I was in LA. I realized that we are connected through technology but nothing brought us closer.”

Darvick and co-founder Brian Berman launched the beta phase of Unbucket in June. Darvick believes the app will serve a greater purpose than listing fun things to do.

“Brian and I met in undergrad at Washington University and have always stayed connected. We always loved talking about technology and finally we both found an idea that we believed in,” Darvick said.

With Darvick’s background in marketingandBerman’sbackground in computer programming, the two combined their skills to create this new app together.

“The goal of our app is to become closer to those that we already care about,” Darvick said. “It’s not to meet new people, but to deepen the relationships which already exist, like a family member of a boyfriend or girlfriend.”

With Unbucket, users can create private or public groups to exchange ideas about different activities to put on their lists. Members in the group can add comments and check off items from the list as they go.

With the growth of the digital age, it seems more and more activities have made the transition from paper to computers and smartphones. We all know too well the canonical catchphrase, “There’s an app for that.” But, are these apps fostering human progression and connection or are they just encouraging laziness and stupidity?

Apps such as Yelp and Shazam are useful and convenient. Others, such as Angry Birds, merely exist to fill empty time. Many apps created in this bubbling “Appapalooza” are fated to be lost in the minds of the masses and the depths of cyberspace.

Its creators hope Unbucket isn’t just another app to hit the limelight. However, the project seems promising because it’s centered on the human need for connection.

Darvick understands college is an exciting time: everyone has lists of things they want to do, but how often are these things actually accomplished? Unbucket is a way to fulfill these agendas while simultaneously deepening relationships with those you care about.

“Our app is the exact opposite of a bucket list,” Darvick said. “It’s not waiting until you die to do these things, it’s about doing the little things today which make the difference.”