Pip’s T-Bird and race for love

It was a hot summer day. Pip and Herbert were relaxing in the temple listening to the radio when the weather report came on.

“Hey there, surfers. Got a real treat for you today. Why don’t you catch some rays and some b-e-a-utiful surf today?. And to all you beach boys out there, if you leave now, you can catch all the girls. Yep, they’re out there with their beach towels and their sunscreen, and, of course, those gorgeous blond hairdos.”

Herbert turned off the radio and said, “Come on, get ready.”

Pip looked up. “Where we goin’?”

Herbert stared at Pip, shocked. “What’re you, square? We’re goin’ to the beach to catch those chicks before they bug out. Get your board, pal.”

“I have to call Estella.”

Herbert rolled his eyes. “That chick again, man? She doesn’t even dig you, Pip. C’mon, we’ll go catch some waves, then we’ll go cruisin’ for some chicks. That’ll take your mind off her.”

“No, Herb. I have to call her and ask her out.”

Herbert laughed. “You’re such a square. She’s gonna say no. Where you gonna take her, stud?”

“I don’t know, drive-in?”

“That all you got?”

“Well, it’s better than drawing designs on Clara all night, isn’t it?”

Herbert became defensive. “Hey, watch it, pal. That’s what I intend to do on her tonight, not to mention try to go all the way with her, and you draw designs on Estella, too.”

They descended down the temple steps and into the garage. Pip opened the door and walked to a shiny white car with red upholstery. Herbert stood where he was, stunned. “What do you call this?”

Pip laughed. “You don’t remember it?”

“Well, of course I remember it. My old man’s ’55 T-Bird. My question is: Why do you have it?”

“Gave it to me.”

“When?”

“When I finished my tutoring with him. Come on, get in.”

“But we don’t have our stuff.”

“We’re not goin’ there, we’re goin’ to the drags.”

Herbert muttered “motorhead” under his breath.

Pip parked the T-Bird next to a row of cars in a dirt-filled, makeshift parking lot. The two boys got out and slid down to the racetrack of the car club they were a part of. As soon as they slid down the hill, a loud voice called, “Pirrip!”

Pip and Herbert followed the voice to see Bentley Drummle walking toward them. “Wanna race, dipstick?” he said tauntingly.

“Depends. What’re we racing for?”

A pondering look came upon Drummle’s face. “How about Estella?”

“What about Estella?”

“Whoever wins gets to ask her out tonight.”

Pip glanced at Herbert and back at Drummle and said, “You got a deal.”

Pip and Drummle drove their cars to the starting line. “May the best man win,” Pip said cheerfully.

“Oh, he will,” Drummle called across with a smirk.

The gun sounded. Pip had raced with the T-Bird against Drummle’s Oldsmobile before, but never with a blown engine under his hood. The feeling he had now that he was driving it was beyond belief. Suddenly, he heard the gunning of an engine. He looked to his left and saw Drummle right beside him.

“All show and no go,” Drummle shouted, ignoring the roar of the engine. Pip scowled and shifted to fourth gear. Soon he was on Drummle’s tail. He got alongside him and yelled with a smile, “All show and no go!” and sped across the finish line first.

Pip parked the T-Bird in an empty space at the drive-in. Estella was wearing a blue casual summer dress, Pip a purple plaid suit and tie with a boutonniere.

The movie went to intermission. Pip slowly turned his head to look at Estella and said softly, “You, uh … want somethin’ to eat?”

“No, thanks,” Estella said.

Pip loosened his tie and snuck his arm around her and began to draw designs on her.

Pip brought the engine down to a soft purr. He turned the radio on to some soft music. His arm was still around Estella. “I can’t help but notice that your hair shines in the moonlight,” Pip said softly. Estella blushed and looked down. Pip’s eyes moved down to her lips. “You know I’ve always been thirsty for your lips, Estella. I might have to kiss you.”

“I’ve wanted to kiss you for a long time, Pip.”

And so they kissed. Pip had never felt anything like it before. He too had wanted this for a long time. Estella’s lips were rich and luscious on his. Estella, on the other hand, just wanted more. Pip’s lips were so soft and tasted of his cologne. She adjusted herself on his lap. She broke away for a moment to take off Pip’s jacket, then she wrapped her arms around him and they continued kissing.

Two hours later, Pip and Estella arrived back at Miss Havisham’s house. “Pip,” Estella began. “Thank you so much. Tonight was … so beautiful.”

“Any time.”

They kissed once more. Estella touched Pip’s lips. “I love you, Pip. I always have,” she said quietly.

“I love you too.”

She got out of his car and walked up to the doorstep. She put her hand on the doorknob and shouted, “Nice car.” Pip chuckled.

She went inside and closed the door.

-Liz Alper is an English freshman.

-This piece of fiction does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.

Pip’s T-Bird and race for love