Aztec clubs gear up for the Spring

Leadership: The Association for International Exchange of Students in Economics and Commerce

Club members from The Association for International Exchange of Students in Economics and Commerce will attend a regional kickoff seminar from Feb. 28 to March 2 in San Jose.

Harrison Kao, local committee president of AIESEC SDSU, wants his club to contribute to the national organization.

“It’s a transformational experience,” Kao said. “Members can learn how they can create a positive impact to the global community.”

AIESEC is a nonprofit organization located in 124 countries. The “global youth network” provides leadership opportunities for students through internship, volunteer and leadership programs.

Religion: Catholic Newman Club

Last Tuesday, The Catholic Campus Ministry held an event at the Newman Centerentitled “Curious Catholics,” where attendees discussed media culture and the Catholic worldview.

The event was held to help students understand how people of faith view the world and how social media impacts the culture, according to club president Dylan Davidson.

“A lot of our events are geared toward students on campus who may be curious about what it is to be Catholic or Christian or have some sort of faith life, so we open our events toward anyone and everyone,” Davidson said.

The San Diego State Catholic Newman Club seeks to provide an environment of spiritual growth for students, participation in campus events and service to the wider community.

Community Service: Silver Wings

The John Burdette Binkley Chapter of Silver Wings, is now participating with Big Brothers Big Sisters, a mentor organization that supports youth development.

Making a local impact through community service is important, Silver Wings President Jaclyn Sumayao said.

“We hope to be a role model and we want to instill the values and principles that we cadets learn from the Air Force and give to the community,” Sumayao said.

Silver Wings is a nonprofit Air Force affiliated organization from the AFROTC Detachment 075 that consists of civilians and cadets.

The mission of the club is to create proactive, knowledgeable and effective civic leaders through community service and national defense education.

Culture: Indian Student Association

The Indian Student Association will be hosting a bonfire at Mission Beach on Saturday, March 15, from 5 to 10 p.m.

“A lot of club members are international students,” ISA President Surbhi Kumar, said. “We are trying to build connections and network so that they may experience American culture.”

She added that students should embrace foreign cultures and learn from each other.

“It would not be good to go to a foreign country and not get the full experience,” Kumar said.

ISA is a student-ran organization that aims to celebrate and highlight the Indian population on campus.

Academic: Financial Planning Association

The SDSU Financial Planning Association will be attending a local quarterly meeting at the University of San Diego on March 19.

The goal of the campus organization is to bridge the gap between students and local professionals, according to FPA President Vicky Mengfei Li.

Mengfei Li said she believes students will benefit from joining the organization.

“We have many local, well-known professionals speak at our weekly meeting,” Mengfei Li said.  “Students may learn lots of first hand experience and clarify different career paths.”

FPA is a nationwide network that promotes the advancement of knowledge in financial planning, supporting programs and projects that help the public learn the benefits of financial planning.

Aztec clubs gear up for the Spring