‘ShamROCK’ around the Gaelic clock

Downtown San Diego’s St. Patrick’s Day soiree, shamROCK, promises to be a party to keep Irish eyes smiling until next year. MCT Campus

Lads and lasses looking to fully celebrate the Irish holiday of St. Patrick’s Day this year will be pleased to know there’s no need to travel all the way to Dublin, Ireland to have some fun. The Gaslamp District will be hosting shamROCK, a huge St. Patrick’s Day bash today from 4 p.m. to midnight. Dress in green, grab some beer and hit the town, because this party is not one to be missed.

This year, shamROCK will be located on F Street between Fifth and Seventh avenues, Sixth Avenue between E and G streets and G Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues in the Gaslamp Quarter. The main entrance is located at Fifth avenueand G Street.

People arriving at the event will be surprised to find the streets of San Diego transformed into an Irish oasis. More than 60,000 feet of green AstroTurf will make partygoers feel as though they have traveled farther than just downtown. The fun, squishy ground combined with traditional Irish music (as well as outstanding DJs) will make everyone want to kick off their shoes and break into a jig.

ShamROCK will have multiple stages of music entertainment to keep the party going all night long. A mix of popular DJs will share the spotlight with live performances by local Irish punk and rock bands. For those who want to try their luck at river dancing, there will be traditional Irish music with dancers.

Of course, it wouldn’t be an Irish party without drinks from the homeland. Green beer will flow freely for those looking to enjoy a pint. Jameson Irish whiskey will be available, along with a plethora of Irish-based beers and liquors will ensure everybody’s thirst will be quenched.

While celebrating just as hard as the Irish do, shamROCK promoters cannot stress enough the importance of staying safe while drinking. In hopes of keeping the night as safe and exciting as possible, free transportation from the event will be available to those who need a safe ride home. Just flash the shamROCK wristband and snag a ride anywhere within San Diego County. Those who take advantage of this incredible service will need to pick up the shuttle at the corner of Fifth Avenue and G Street.

Tickets to the greenest party in town are available to only those who are 21 years of age and older with a valid ID. Tickets are currently available for $30. These prices guarantee entrance to the event, and all the food, drinks and entertainment shamROCK has to offer. As if that wasn’t enough, shamROCK party people gain special privileges this night with zero cover charge to more than 20 of the Gaslamp’s hottest nightclubs and restaurants. More than 15,000 people are expected to attend this year, so those considering attending better buy tickets before their luck runs out.

Proceeds from shamROCK will benefit the Gaslamp Quarter Historical Foundation, so grab a pint and join shamROCK 2011 to party like a leprechaun.

‘ShamROCK’ around the Gaelic clock