Aztecs looking to steal win from No. 17 Oregon State

Kristian Carreon, Senior Staff Photographer

A grueling conference season continues on Thursday night for the San Diego State men’s soccer team. SDSU will host No. 17 ranked Oregon State University at 7 p.m. This is the fourth-straight nationally ranked team the Aztecs will face.

SDSU is on a three-game losing streak, a harsh start to the Pac-12 season.

The Aztecs will host a Beavers team that’s far and away better than the punching bag it was last year. Oregon State is ranked 17th, but have only played three games on the road this season, with a 1-2 record.

The Beavers are led by two dynamic goal scorers and, like SDSU, one of them is young. Freshman forward Timmy Mueller leads Oregon State with nine goals, and has two assists to go with that. Senior midfielder Khiry Shelton has bagged seven goals and 10 assists this year.

Aztec freshman forward David Olsen still leads the team with six goals. If there’s one thing that really bodes well for SDSU it’s that it’s 6-2 at home, as opposed to 0-4 on the road.

The Aztecs and Beavers have a couple of common opponents so far this year in Stanford University and University of California, Berkeley. SDSU lost 2-0 to Stanford and 4-3 to Cal, while Oregon State beat Cal 6-2, but lost 1-0 to Stanford.

If those numbers serve any indication as to how this game should go, then it looks like it could be a wide-open, high-scoring affair on Thursday night.

The Beavers bring a potent offensive attack coupled with a steady defense. They’ve scored 29 goals and given up only nine in 12 games.

Oregon State leads the all-time series 10-9-2, but hasn’t beaten SDSU in more than two years.