$1.3 million plan to improve SDSU campus entrances approved

by Emely Navarro, Senior Staff Writer

San Diego State President Elliot Hirshman recently announced the approval of “Destination SDSU,” a $1.3 million project to improve signage on campus.

Hirshman proposed “Destination SDSU” to the board of SDSU’s nonprofit organization Campanile Foundation last year. This new construction project will create gates or entrances in multiple areas around campus so visitors will know when they are on campus. The board recently approved the plans, and construction will begin during summer 2016.

“There’s a significant challenge in terms of knowing when people are on campus as there is no destination point,” Hirshman said at the Campanile Foundation board meeting last year.

“Part of the project is to create gates or entrances in multiple areas so people can know, 1. that they are at San Diego State and, 2. that this is what we stand for,” the meeting’s minutes quote Hirshman saying. “We have a certain tradition, history, and values and approaches.”

These entry gates and signs will be located on 55th Street, Campanile Drive and East Campus Drive. This project also intends to replace the monuments sign that was at the end of Campanile Walkway facing Hardy Avenue before the trolley station was built.

This new project is a part of a larger improvement plan that administration has for the university.

Robert Schulz, the associate vice president for real estate, planning and development said  “Destination SDSU” is an informational signage program.

“We will be replacing particular signs on campus to remember the parking structures and parking lots in order to make them much more comprehensible to a new visitor,” Schulz said. “You know, athletics display, university housing display, Parking Structure 3 displays.”

Schultz said every year a modest amount of money from the university’s budget is set aside for university improvements.

The President’s Cabinet and several other committees weigh in on how the funds are allocated.

Maria Gonzalez, a psychology sophomore, said spending this much money on signs instead of building more classrooms, parking structures or hiring teachers is unnecessary.

“Every day I spend almost an hour looking for parking on campus, there are classes I didn’t get because they were full,” Gonzalez said. “Instead of hiring more professors to teach these classes or building more parking structures they’re building signs.”

Richard Falcke, a biology senior, agreed with Gonzalez.

“The signs will make campus looks nicer, but there are other things they should be using that money to improve campus, like fixing classrooms,” Falcke said.

Thomas Styles, an undeclared freshman, said the signs will be useful for first-time visitors.

“When I came to visit SDSU for the first time, I drove past it on Montezuma with my parents because we didn’t see any signs,” Styles said. “Adding signs and entry points would make it more distinct when you are coming from different areas.”

Construction is estimated to last for two months during the summer.

Other current campus construction projects include the South Campus Plaza renovation, set to be completed in fall 2016, and the Engineering Interdisciplinary Sciences building, set to be substantially completed in January 2018. 

5 Responses to “$1.3 million plan to improve SDSU campus entrances approved”

1. Emmanuel Istomin on February 10th, 2016 4:31 pm

This is definitely not needed. Everyone knows when they are on campus. It’s not too hard to tell when you start seeing all these fancy tall building around smaller scaled houses. This is a waste of our money. We should be investing in paying our professors/educators more and providing more student-oriented programs. We should be putting that money towards what our students are asking for and insuring their well-being and satisfaction.

2. Courtney on February 10th, 2016 7:31 pm

Why not spend the money on hiring more professors so you can offer more classes and seniors like me can graduate on time instead of being pushed back because they can’t get in classes?

3. Ella Napata on February 10th, 2016 7:40 pm

Seriously, 1.3m for signs?! That is so outrageous! Students are working night and day to pay for tuition so they can get a better education but the fact that a significant amount of that money is going towards some pointless signs and not towards more classrooms or teachers is just a slap in the face. Hirshman must be getting paid under the table by some construction company to make that contract. Who agreed to this? I’m already pissed that my tuition paid for the football teams hover boards now this? If SDSU has so much money to make pointless signs why don’t you spend it on something that matters. Please if you are in faculty, please look at what the really students want/need.

4. Gabi Urdaz on February 10th, 2016 8:30 pm

Shouldn’t they get the rest of campus up to date before they go and add signs for people who can’t read a map? There are so many buildings that can use updating. Do they realize that the music building has absolutely no sound proofing? That just makes no sense. I don’t know about any other specific building, but also how much less would our tuition be if they put $1.3 million toward that? There are so many more important things that money should be going too! But wait, I forgot that the school is a business and not a place of education. Therefore, signage for people who do not already go here is more important.

5. Julio Parra on February 11th, 2016 1:46 am

This is the stupidest project I have heard. So sdsu is not about history and value, its about building things that aren’t needed. How dumb can people be to not know they are at State its a freaking huge school with signs everywhere. Who approves this? The alumnus and alumi and private donors’ money which the school garnishes all and distributes as it pleases. I want to know if there is a school-wide school audit and voting. This school serves students needs not the aesthetics of board members who come and go. Am I right?