SDSU Athletic Director Jim Sterk leaving for University of Missouri

Jim Sterk resigned from his position as the Athletic Director at SDSU on Monday. Photo taken from youtube.

San Diego State Athletic Director Jim Sterk resigned from his position Monday afternoon in favor of the same position at the University of Missouri, as officially announced by SDSU President Elliot Hirshman.

Sterk will take over at the University of Missouri starting Sept. 1.

Executive Associate Athletic Director Jenny Bramer has been an SDSU staff member for 13 seasons, and will serve as Athletic Director while the school searches for a long-term replacement.

President Hirshman released a statement on the state of SDSU athletics following Sterk’s resignation Monday afternoon.

“San Diego State University is committed to the continued success and achievement of Aztec Athletics,” Hirshman wrote, “and the coming year promises to be an exciting one for Aztec Athletics as we set our sights on conference championships and success for our student-athletes.”

“We will build on the success that Jim Sterk brought to San Diego State as we go into the new year.”

In March, Sterk was honored with the Under Armour AD of the Year Award by the National Association of Collegiate Director of Athletics, an award given to only two ADs annually.

Sterk was also appointed to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Selection Committee in May, a spot he will assume for five years.

Since Sterk took over in 2010, 55 different Aztec teams have made it to the NCAA Championships, and since 2012-13, they have claimed 32 conference titles.

Likewise, this decade, the men’s football and basketball teams have won a combined 75.2 percent of their games, which ranks third nationally behind powerhouses Ohio State University and University of Louisville.

Sterk will likely be payed $600,000 annually by University of Missouri, given it’s what the university paid it’s last AD Mack Rhoades. Sterk’s base salary at SDSU was $315,000.

He was signed to the position until 2020, with an extension seemingly imminent based on the outstanding performance of Aztec athletics under his leadership.

Zach Engberg
Zach Engberg, Sports Editor
Zach is a senior at San Diego State University majoring in journalism. Zach was the Sports Editor at The Daily Aztec, where he has been working since 2015. Zach has covered the SDSU football, baseball and women's lacrosse team, while reporting other breaking news stories. Born in San Francisco, Calif., Zach is an avid fan of the SF 49ers, Oakland Athletics and Golden State Warriors, and is still mourning the 2016 Finals loss and Super Bowl XLVII. Zach will someday work as a television sports commentator, joining the likes of Joe Buck, Mike Tirico and Marv Albert.