Campus police investigate robbery as hate crime

Suspects reportedly made comments about President-elect Donald Trump.

by Will Fritz, Senior Staff Writer

A San Diego State student wearing a hijab was the victim of a strong-arm robbery in Parking 12 at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Nov. 9.

“Comments made to the student indicate she was targeted because of her Muslim faith, including her wearing of a traditional garment and hijab,” a statement from SDSU President Elliot Hirshman, Vice President of Student Affairs Eric Rivera and Interim Chief of Police Josh Mays said.

The student was using a stairwell in the parking structure when two males, who were talking about President-elect Donald Trump, confronted her and grabbed her purse and backpack before leaving the area, a community safety alert from campus police reported.

The victim’s car was also missing when responding officers arrived.

Aisha Sharif, sociology senior and friend of robbery victim, said the men who attacked her friend told her to start preparing to leave the country. 

“They said something along the lines of ‘now that Trump is president, get ready to start packing up and flee,’” Sharif said.  “She had her keys in her hand, and they just took her keys and took her car.”

One of the suspects was described as a white male adult and the other was a Hispanic male adult, both in their early twenties.

Sharif said she was not aware whether her friend’s purse and backpack were also taken, but knew for a fact the keys had been taken.

“I think this absolutely relates with (Trump winning). It’s sad that it’s only- hasn’t even been 24 hours since he’s been elected and we’re already getting this type of hate,” Sharif said. “It’s sad that it’s happening on a college campus where we pride ourselves on diversity, especially here at SDSU.”

The student was left uninjured in the robbery.

The statement from administrators continued by condemning it as a “hateful act.”

“Hate crimes are destructive to the spirit of our campus and we urge all members of our community to stand together in rejecting hate,” the statement said.

This comes after President Hirshman and other campus leaders issued a statement earlier in the day calling for “campus unity.”

“At this moment of transition, we reaffirm our community’s commitment to ensure fair and equitable treatment of all members of our community,” the earlier statement said. “We ask all members of our community to keep this perspective and the importance of empathy for others foremost in their thoughts as we go through this transition period.”

The next day on Wednesday Nov. 10 SDSU College Republicans sent out a statement in regards to the robbery and hate crime incident.

In the statement College Republicans said “We understand that the GOP does not have the best reputation in this country, and we understand the perceptions about us. But our club does not condone these events nor will stand by idly as our Muslims peers are harassed and molested. This needs to stop.”

This article was updated on Nov. 10 and 10:38 a.m. 

4 Responses to “Campus police investigate robbery as hate crime”

1. John Santuccio on November 10th, 2016 6:14 am

I’m a 1984 alumnus of San Diego State. This crime makes me angry and sad. This is no way to act our 1st Amendment rights. The students of San Diego State are attending the Stanford of the California State University System. I urge the students to respectful of each other.

2. Craig on January 21st, 2017 8:11 am

It never happened. Are you angry with the woman who made up the story? Or do you let it slide like the San Diego Tribune writers David Hernandez and Gary Warth?

IT’S A HATE CRIME HOAX CONCOCTED BE BERNIE OR HILLARY SUPPORTERS.

Taqiyya is a permitted form of lying under sharia law.

3. Craig on December 18th, 2016 12:51 am

Any follow-up? It’s strange that there was never a follow-up to this “Muslim hate crime” possibly fake news story. Don’t they have security cameras at S.D. State university? The student in Louisiana was lying as was the Muslim woman in New York City (she lied so her religious father wouldn’t punish her for getting drunk and staying out late).

4. Barry Sorta on December 23rd, 2016 10:09 am

Another Hate Hoax ! Aisha Sharif should be charged for filing a false police report . Her car was never stolen and she recanted her story . Stop crying wolf because it causes doubt on actual crime victims .