Responsible agriculture for smart eating

By Kelly Callas, Emma Secker, Amy DeVito, Staff Writers

With organic food sales increasing at a rate of 20 percent each year since 1990, it is clear consumers are becoming more conscientious about the food they put into their bodies. However, beyond health factors, few have knowledge of the significant social, economic and environmental advantages offered by eating food that is locally purchased, organically grown and sustainably manufactured. It’s time to learn.

Ethical growing and wise consuming

Environmentally speaking, organic farming enhances soil development and cultivates a more nutritious soil for growing more nutritious crops. According to Misha Johnson, organic farmer at Wild Willow Farm and Education Center, organic farms foster a diverse production of crops to prevent monocultures, the domination of one species, which can deplete the soil. A stronger soil and more resilient farm enables growers to refrain from using harmful pesticides and other chemicals necessary to rid unhealthy plants from pests and disease.

According to the Organic Consumers Association, many of the pesticides used in conventional farming have been linked to health problems including infertility, birth defects and both childhood and adult cancers. These pesticides can make their way from farms into drinking water systems, or they can enter the body directly with food.

In addition to avoiding these risks, buying organically from local farms within 100 miles of one’s home helps reduce the emission of harmful green house gases generated from vehicles that would otherwise have to transport these crops an average of 1,500 miles to get to consumers’ plates.

According to sustainabletable.org, “By adding transportation, processing and packaging to the food system equation, the fossil fuel and energy use of our current food system puts tremendous stress on the environment.”

For those who feel that eating locally or organically is too expensive, they might be unaware that purchasing their organic food locally actually sustains the local economy.

“Think of our food system as a circle, each of us is interdependent and connected with every other part of the circle,” sandiegoroots.org stated. “By eating locally, not only do you get fresher, better-tasting food, but you also help support family farms and encourage a vibrant local economy.”

The social benefits of local organic farming are substantial as well. Industrialized crop production often relies upon immigrant farming and is heavily subsidized by the government. Besides the fact that imported labor may lower wages or take away jobs from local citizens, this also means hidden costs for the consumer and the loss of transparency one receives when purchasing organic crops straight from the source.

“There is a strong ethic to the organic movement,” Johnson said. “Every time you pick up a fork, with every meal, you are voting for one system or another.”

Johnson and his fellow organic farmers, as well as other supporters of the sustainable food movement in San Diego, encourage students and the local public to cast their votes wisely.

Local farm puts sustainability first

Wild Willow Farm practices sustainability by being organic in every aspect.

Today’s tactics focus on what Mother Nature can do by letting crops grow in their natural state.

The plantation beholds a quieter, more peaceful setting — there is an absence of tractors, plows and machines.

So where is the water source and how do the farmers tend to the soil?

In place of massive mechanical sprayers that stretch water over acres at a time, there are hidden, slender black tapes laden within the fields. Drip irrigation is a method that uses minute holes in the tape designed to supplement each individual plant with just the right amount of water.

The farm is conveniently located next to a river, enabling the roots of the crops to reach water more easily. Additionally, harvesting rain water is a natural alternative to utilizing outside sources from the city.

Millions of farmers till the soil every year, which constantly changes the face of the environment. Instead of churning the soil, organic farmers use the compost method and perma beds. Layers of sheet mulch, straw, organic matter and even newspaper can help crops to naturally thrive from decomposable substances.

“We are looking to use the natural ways of the environment to our advantage,” Johnson said. “It is important to rehabilitate the environment, let nature run its course. Allowing crops to grow in their wild form offers more variety and healthier food.”

It is also as important to eat in season as it is to eat locally and be sustainable all together. Eating food in season reduces the overall carbon footprint of the transportation needed  to distribute food and the food will be riper and healthier.

Another sustainable method is propagating. This uses the leaves and seeds of one mature plant to harvest new crops and ultimately helps to save resources. Saving these seeds ensures the new crop will grow in the same fashion as the mother plant, which is already accustomed to the environment and weather.

Being sustainable at home and with everyday habits is crucial to making a difference in the community. Organic farming is just one of several ways to maintain this sustainability.

Being green isn’t just for farmers

There are many simple steps everyone can take to reduce their personal carbon footprint.

For example, cut back on the meat. The grains often used to feed cows utilize unnecessary large quantities of energy while leading to the animal’s subsequent production of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas. National Resources Defense Council estimates that if every American eliminated just one quarter-pound serving of beef per week, it would be equivalent to taking four to six million cars off the road.

Keep the packaging minimal. Buying in bulk, bringing reusable containers and paying attention to excessive wrappings while shopping for food can be a simple way to keep waste out of the landfill.

Not ready to buy all organic? Start with the “dirty dozen.” Environmental Working Group classifies these dozen fruit and vegetable products as carrying abnormally high levels of pesticides: peaches, apples, sweet bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, pears, imported grapes, spinach, lettuce and potatoes.

Empty the cupboards. Instead of taking another trip to the grocery store (or even the local farmers market) be creative and make a meal from what’s already around. Use food before it expires and share with friends so nothing goes to waste.

Stop buying bottled water. EWG explains unlike tap water sources, companies that supply bottled water are not required to disclose the results of their contamination testing. Separate testing by the EWG discovered many brands of bottled water are no better than what is found on tap, however, they are sold at 1,900 times the price. Save some money and keep those wasteful plastic bottles at bay by drinking filtered water from the tap.

It doesn’t take much to help the planet. Why not start now?