President Adela de la Torre can be an advocate for women and minorities at SDSU

by Kemi Giwa, Staff Writer

San Diego State has just named Adela de la Torre as the university’s new permanent president.

In addition to being only the ninth person to serve this post, de la Torre is also the first woman — and the first Latino — to hold this prestigious title.

De la Torre has dedicated much of her career to Latino and Chicano health issues.

De la Torre’s position highlights the improvement of a system that has historically kept women out of leadership roles. Surprising considering the fact that women have comprised more than half of all college students since 1979.

This goes against the precedent of presidents in SDSU’s history who have mostly been white and male.

De la Torre will hopefully set SDSU on a new path — one where important issues, such as the mascot controversy, can be handled by someone with the ability to empathize with the pain students experience when an entire university profits off of the misrepresentation and disrespect of a culture.

In addition, with women of color more disproportionately impacted by sexual assault on college campuses, de la Torre, as a woman of color, can contribute to the conversation that will motivate the university to do more to protect its more vulnerable students.

Overall, SDSU’s decision to select a president who represents the university’s growing diversity is the most effective way to address concerns that impact our community.

De la Torre can use her unique experiences as a Latina to help our university become a safe space for everyone.

3 Responses to “President Adela de la Torre can be an advocate for women and minorities at SDSU”

1. Crystal Sudano on February 13th, 2018 11:07 am

Hi,
    Seems to me the fact the new president is a woman would be an indicator she could bring about more awareness about any and ALL SDSU students who are women (regardless of race) who have been or might become, sexually assaulted.

2. Patrick Doyle Class of 92 on February 14th, 2018 7:46 am

I am hopeful that Adela de la Torre was the correct choice for SDSU’s president. She is there to represent the University, students and Alumni, many who support the University on an ongoing basis. I take issue with the immediate leap to “she is the first Latio and woman” to hold the position. Who cares? Aren’t we trying to move beyond this identity politics based culture and judge people based on their abilities?! As far a “having empathy and feeling the pain of the students”, exactly who is being offended by a mascot that represents an extinct culture? I am not aware of any native Aztecs attending SDSU or any other college for that matter. Help me if i am mistaken, for I see no victim here.

3. David Crossley on February 14th, 2018 10:50 am

I would hope that the new SDSU president will note all the previous votes on this subject, and leave the Aztec name and mascot as is.