America has a severe gun problem right now

by Sydney Karlos, Contributor

This year alone there has been 10 major school shootings, each involving multiple fatalities. Think about this for a second.

We are nine months into 2018 already, and already, ten different times, a man has brought a weapon into a school with the intent to hurt somebody. Kids go to school expecting to be safe and end up being shot dead. Schools are supposed to be safe spaces, not a place where a student watch their classmate die in front of them.

This continues to happen because certain groups of people think that their right to own a gun is more important than a child’s life.

I mean, what regular person needs an AR-15 to “protect” themselves? I have trouble understanding why anyone would need to own a semi-automatic rifle at all.

These groups of people who believe that owning a gun is some divine right just seem absolutely insane to me.  Not to mention how corrupt the National Rifle Association, the NRA is a, “recreational group designed to promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis.” Notice how this definition says scientific basis. I would love to hear a NRA supporter explain their “scientific” explanation for why they own an AR-15. Slowly, but surely, the NRA moved into political lobbying which makes it obvious that even our politicians don’t care about our children. In fact, most of our politicians accept money from the NRA and the NRA frequently supports these men in their campaigns.

Senator Ted Cruz has received $11,900 and Senator Mark Rubio has accepted $4,950 from the NRA, and the NRA also spent $1 million dollars supporting his campaign for re-election.

These disturbing facts are the reason why policies aren’t changing. According to BBC, the NRA is, “now among the most powerful special interest lobby groups in the US, with a substantial budget to influence members of Congress on gun policy.”  It is obvious that groups like the NRA are negatively influencing our politics, and current people in power only care about personal gain, not about the fact that our children are being murdered in environments where they are supposed to be safe and protected.

It seems as though America does not know what to do about our obvious gun problem. With a country split in half ideologically, it is hard to come to an agreement. In fact, our very own president tweeted, “Armed Educators love our students and will protect them.”

How is this going to fix our gun problem by adding more guns to the equation? What would happen if a teacher went crazy while armed with a gun? Could we say that the government aided in killing our children since they provided the teacher with a gun? These machines shouldn’t be anywhere near a school campus.

On the other hand, where would our government get any of the money to provide and train our teachers with guns? Some teachers can barely afford basic supplies such as pen and papers. Also, how would an armed teacher stop a shooter when sometimes a trained law enforcement officer can’t? Anyone who wholeheartedly believes that giving teachers guns is going to solve the problem of gun violence in this country problem is willfully ignoring the facts.

We need to protect our children because they are the future of this country. No parent wants to drop their kid off at school and never see them again. No parent wants to worry about whether or not their child is going to come home from school.  

4 Responses to “America has a severe gun problem right now”

1. Tony on October 2nd, 2018 1:05 pm

Sorry young’un. Just remember that legal gun owners rarely, if ever, commit shootings. The 2nd is here to stay. Don’t listen to your professors who lie to you, or the mass media, or the hack politicians. They love to scare people. It’s all a lie. Meet people who own guns and ask them respectfully why they own them. You might learn a better lesson than you could’ve listening to professors who don’t like the Constitution.

2. JG on October 2nd, 2018 1:58 pm

I am not a member of the NRA, but I know plenty about them. The NRA started as civil rights organizations to assist African American to have gun rights in the south when Southern Democrats were willfully pushing Jim Crow Laws. The NRA got into educating children and adult on Gun Safety after several tragic losses in the 70s and continued to expand their educational opportunities since. There has been over 50% reduction in accidental deaths by firearms since they started the Program known as Eddie the Eagle, a gun safety program for kids and basis of go tell an adult in schools.

The AR-15 is one of most common rifles today in the United States. As most rifles are semi-automatic, you would think the rifles might be one of the top weapons used in murders. It’s not even close. Rifles by category are responsible for around 450 to 550 annually and one least used types of weapons see FBI Uniform Crime Report Table 12 for each year. Handguns are generally used 900% more than rifles and handguns often tie with knives regarding murders by state.

The AR-15 is a great tool for home defense for rural properties where range matters as much as firepower. Roughly 80% of the area of the country is rural. Most of the San Diego city area is not rural and not subject to the same issues and experiences as a result. Most police response times for emergencies are under 15 minutes. Whereas in the county where many live it could be a 30-minute wait before many would get deputies. Now imagine you are under siege for 30 minutes from armed burglars trying to break into your property and then your home alone. The police will be there for the dead bodies and if you are lucky, you are the survivor.

3. Robert Gager on October 2nd, 2018 11:19 pm

Wow! There’s so much info in here that I don’t know where to start. The NRA does supply scientific info to its members. Not the way you might think or want to acknowledge. If you pick up any of their magazine publications, you’ll likely find reviews on more than just firearms. Often with statistical info on ammunition regarding weights, charges, speed and impact .to name a few.
    When they review a scope, they provide so much technical data that most won’t understand. However, if you’re a avid hunter or competitive shooter, all of the info is very useful.
    Do you understand concave, convex, moa, wind age or the difference between 4x and 6x?
    Regarding teachers and training, there are many shooting schools that have gone on record that they will instruct teachers free of charge. The only stipulation is that the board of education has to approve.
    If a teacher has a concealed carry license, the screening process in most states is quite rigid. I would feel better with children in the custody of someone screened that thoroughly vs the one in the next classroom without the screening.
    Lastly, the need for semi- automatics. They’ve been around since the beginning of the 20th century. They’re not the problem.

4. Danny on October 3rd, 2018 10:03 pm

Question: do you know what AR-15 actually stands for?
    Question: have you ever fired a gun?
    Question: have you ever feared for you life?

If you haven’t grown up in the hood then please don’t take away law abiding citizens’ chance to protect themselves from thugs who don’t abide by the law. Come back and write a real article when you know what it’s like to have your house surrounded by gang bangers ready to break in your house. What are you gonna protect yourself with? A dildo?
    Keep your laws off my guns.