2021 national suicide prevention week

Anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts are common mental health issues among young adults. Moving out, attending college and establishing a career are clearly major stressors. The pandemic is in no way lessening the stress of young adults venturing out into the world on their own.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States and the second leading cause of death for people between the ages of 10-34.

“In May 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic, ED visits for suspected suicide attempts began to increase among adolescents aged 12–17 years, especially girls,” the CDC report said. “During February 21–March 20, 2021, suspected suicide attempt ED visits were 50.6% higher among girls aged 12–17 years than during the same period in 2019; among boys aged 12–17 years, suspected suicide attempt ED visits increased 3.7%.”

Needless to say, it is true when people say you are not alone. 

All this being said, resources and programs are available. The month of September is set aside to initiate open-minded conversations and discuss potential solutions. 

The Suicide Prevention Lifeline website provides a list of coping mechanisms for living during the COVID-19 pandemic. The site recommends limiting media consumption and getting reliable health information for direct sources such as the CDC. 

San Diego State students have a variety of mental health services available. Student Health Services and Counseling and Psychological Services offer mental health resources including counseling, therapy and workshops. 

Students who would like to speak with a therapist can call the following phone number, 619-594-5220, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. for a 15-minute consultation, according to the Counseling and Psychological Services website. 

A schedule of group therapy and workshops are available during the Fall 2021 semester. The sessions are designed for specific needs and individuals. Some of the programs listed are “Womxn of Color Empowerment Group, Living with Loss and Body Wisdom.”

Additional workshops include mindfulness and mediation practices, targeted to improve sleep, academic performance and relaxation, according to the website.

The National Suicide Prevention Hotline 800-273-8255 is available 24 hours a day.

Katelynn Robinson
Katelynn Robinson, '21-22 News Editor
Katelynn Robinson is a junior studying journalism and political science. 
2021 national suicide prevention week