Adam Seiko and Matt Bradley to return for 2022-2023 season

Noelani Sapla
Matt Bradley (3) takes a shot during the game against Colorado State. Bradley led the team with 26 points on the day.

Against Fresno State on Thursday, San Diego State will be honoring five seniors in a pre-game ceremony.

Those who will be honored will be Trey Pulliam, Aguek Arop, Joshua Tomaic, Tahirou Diabate and Nathan Mensah.

Matt Bradley and Adam Seiko — who are also seniors — are not on that list. Instead, they’ll be coming back for one more year.

“I’m excited to make this announcement today, so I can concentrate on competing in tournament play throughout March with my team,” Bradley said to goaztecs.com. “Basketball has always been a tool in my life to get me in contact with many amazing people and amazing opportunities, one of those opportunities being receiving a college degree. Being Black with higher education is important in America. And I plan on fulfilling my lifelong dream of graduating.”

Bradley has been an offensive anchor for the Aztecs, averaging 17.2 points per game while dropping a season-high 30 points against Wyoming on Feb. 28. While he faced an adjusting period to SDSU’s offensive and defensive system after transferring from Cal, he has settled in nicely to become SDSU’s lead scorer.

Seiko, meanwhile, is head coach Brian Dutcher’s main “3 and D” player off the bench. A member of the team since the 2017-2018 season, Seiko has started seven games this season and is second on the team in 3-point shooting, one point behind Bradley at 41.7 percent.

But if they are seniors, how come they get an extra year of eligibility? Simple, that’s because the NCAA granted all athletes an extra “COVID year” after the loss of the 2019-2020 season.

As of now, it is unknown whether any of the other seniors on SDSU’s roster will be taking an extra year of eligibility. Two of those players, Pulliam and Tomaic, have already taken their extra year of eligibility so they will be on their way out. Diabate has also made hints of playing professional basketball after this season as well.

Aztec fans are also waiting on word from Mensah and Arop on where they will be heading after this season. Mensah is one of the main reasons that SDSU has the No. 1 ranked defense in the nation according to KenPom while Arop has been battered with various injuries throughout the year.

However, for at least one more season, it appears that two of the top scorers donning the Scarlet and Black will be back on the Mesa for one more ride.

Jason Freund, Sports Editor
Jason Freund is a journalism major from Santee, Calif. He hopes to become a sports journalist for a Major League Baseball team or a reporter for another major sport. In his free time, Jason enjoys listening to music, going to the gym and watching baseball. Jason began writing for The Daily Aztec in October 2019 and also writes for the East Village Times. You can follow him on Twitter @jasonfreund_.
Noelani Sapla, Staff Photographer, '21-22 Photo Editor
Born and raised in San Diego, Noelani is a graduate student at San Diego State University working towards a masters degree in education. She joined the Daily Aztec staff as the photo editor for the 2021-2022 year, and is currently a staff photographer. She credits the Daily Aztec for the experience and opportunities to cover the NCAA tournament in Houston where the men's basketball team played in the national championship game. While having a degree in education and teaching, Noelani's dream is to become a professional sports photographer.