Aztec Music Group’s backyard event with Supercool! was a massive hit

The backyard show series returned this fall with a packed house on a Friday night
Guitarist+of+Hannah+Geller+rips+their+guitar+solo+during+the+performance.+
Huy Huynh
Guitarist of Hannah Geller rips their guitar solo during the performance.

Aztec Music Group’s (AMG) recent event on Sept. 30 was a big hit. The student organization showcased six back-to-back performances from Hannah Geller, Matty Thomas, JMaTy, Thani, Steves, and Supercool! as the headliner on.

The event was hosted off-campus on Dorothy Way. As doors opened at 5:30 p.m., students filled up the backyard patio while the bands did their sound checks before Hannah Geller was set to perform.

Last semester, Supercool!, a multi-genre and, 11-piece group, made its debut at another AMG event. Members, RJ Maes and Graham Sanders, spoke about headlining this event. 

“We’re happy to be a part of it this year and are excited to be playing with so many great artists,” Maes said. “This event is a great opportunity for artists to get together because we’re all kind of up and coming.”

Sanders commented on the AMG scene and shared that their band consisted of a genre-expanding sound, which included a five-piece horn section, conventional bass, drums, keys, and guitar.

“We’re definitely not the default AMG genre here. Supercool! is like an indie punk consignment with funk, pop, soul, R&B, that sort of stuff,” Sanders said. “AMG is great for anybody who wants to get involved in the music scene here at SDSU.”

Everyone connected with AMG values working in the local music industry, whether promoting their music as an artist or entering into the business aspect of it.

Zen Yokel, president of the Aztec Music Group, spoke about his internal workings and event life on campus.

“Music is something that we try to foster for everyone trying to market themselves as artists,” Yokel said. “We hold shows they’re able to play in, and we host events on and off campus for these performers.”

AMG also continues to do a lot of music business outreach in San Diego.

Max Zimmer plays the keyboard for Matty Thomas. (Alex Lai)

“Balboa Park, for the Save Starlight initiative, is an old venue that went out of business that is trying to be restored,” Yokel said. “We will be sourcing the artists for that initiative, and it will be an incredible time with a lot of AMG outreach.”

Locally it can be challenging for SDSU students with musical aspirations to connect with other artists in the area as the city has not always been a known hotspot for music outside of Stone Temple Pilots, Blink-182, and Slightly Stoopid.

Jacob Matro of JMaTy, a hip-hop and rap genre who performed at AMG’s event, discussed what this event meant for an emerging artist on campus.

“San Diego has not been the most diverse musical city, but we’re trying to make that more varied as students,” Matro said. “This event is free for us, such as how we perform for free, so this brings music to the people and creates a fan base.”

For more information on AMG event performers and to stay up to date on the latest upcoming AMG events, visit aztecmusicgroup.com or @aztecmusicgroup on Instagram.

Ryan Kehl, Staff Writer
Raised in North Philadelphia, Ryan is a senior majoring in journalism with an emphasis in advertising. He recently completed a copywriting internship at Motive and served as vice president of public affairs on the Professional Studies and Fine Arts College Council. His interests include "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," Meek Mill, "Rocky," and "Elden Ring," along with cheesesteak egg rolls and soft pretzels.
Alex Lai
Alex Lai, Staff Writer
Alex Lai (she/her/hers) is a fourth year student studying journalism with a minor in television, film and media. She is a senior staff reporter for The Daily Aztec and is looking to pursue a career in broadcast journalism after graduation. Alex is a founding member of the Asian American Journalists Association at SDSU and is serving as Vice President this year. She is also Vice President for SDSU’s Society of Professional Journalists. She enjoys traveling, going to the beach and spending time with friends and family.
Huy Huynh
Huy Huynh, Staff Writer
Huy Huynh was born and raised in San Diego, California and attended Patrick Henry High School in Del Cerro. After graduating, he studied at Grossmont College, right before transferring to San Diego State University as a psychology major with a minor in Digital and Social Media Studies. In his free time, he enjoys reading, making music, or creating videos, which he also does for work as a freelance videographer/editor. He is currently a staff writer for the Daily Aztec, working in multiple sections such as Arts and Culture as well as the News section. Huy is also bilingual in Vietnamese.