Five things you may have missed in San Diego sports over the summer

The Aztecs celebrated a pair of championships on the diamond, saw players branch out professionally and Snapdragon Stadium host major soccer events
Emily Augustine
Illustration by Emily Augustine

It’s been a busy summer on the Mesa since the end of the spring 2023 semester. With titles and a playoff run, as well as the announcement of a new San Diego professional team, the sports scene has been sizzling. Here are the biggest Aztecs stories, plus what went down on the pitch at Snapdragon Stadium.

Softball went on a super-regional run in a historic season

The San Diego State softball team posted an amazing run in the playoffs that marked a historical season for the Scarlet and Black. Led by second-year head coach Stacey Nuveman Deniz, the Aztecs posted a 39-17 record in 2023 as well as a Mountain West tournament title, advancing out of the Los Angeles Regional. SDSU went 3-0 over the three games during the regionals, winning over Liberty (twice) and Grand Canyon while outscoring opponents 19-3. Led by a dominant pitching staff, the Aztecs earned their first super-regional appearance in program history, falling in three games to No. 15 Utah.

Baseball wins first regular season title since 2004

SDSU shared the 2023 regular season Mountain West championship, making their first since 2004 with San Jose State — both having the same MW record of 18-11. Additionally, junior outfielder and left-hand pitcher TJ Fondtain had an award-winning season. He threw the first no-hitter of his college career against Nevada on April 21. His stellar performance then earned recognition as the 2023 Mountain West Pitcher of The Year in addition to multiple All-American selections.

Three players were selected in the MLB Draft: Cole Carrigg, a first-team All-Mountain West choice was selected by Colorado as the 65th pick in the second round. Fondtain was selected in the 14th round by Tampa Bay and junior right-handed pitcher Kelena Sauer was drafted in the 15th round by Toronto. Shaun Cole is the Aztecs new head coach, the former pitching coach replaces Mark Martinez, who retired in July after nine years as SDSU skipper.

Former Aztecs sign professional contracts for the 2023-24 season

Last year SDSU’s athletic programs earned historic successes, including a first-time appearance by the men’s basketball team in the national championship game, adding another bowl berth for the football team. As a result, many Aztec players have gone on to further their athletic careers. Here’s a quick recap of where they have signed professionally.

Men’s basketball had two players sign summer league deals, Adam Seiko (Golden State Warriors) and Nathan Mensah (Charlotte Hornets). Seven football players signed undrafted free agent contracts: Jesse Matthews (Houston Texans), Jonah Tavai (Seattle Seahawks), Tyrell Shavers  (Buffalo Bills), Alama Uluave (Miami Dolphins), Jordan Byrd (Pittsburgh Steelers), Keshawn Banks signed (Green Bay Packers) and Caden McDonald (Indianapolis Colts).

Aztecs locked into the Mountain West Conference for this year

Heading into the fall, San Diego State knew it would be competing in the Mountain West Conference (MWC) for the 2023-24 athletic year and even for the 2024-2025 season. SDSU President Adela de la Torre and the Mountain West exchanged letters over the summer about the Aztecs’ “intent to withdraw” from the conference, which the conference treated as an actual withdrawal. Following a conference meeting in mid-July and agreements from both sides, Mountain West Commissioner Gloria Nevarez called SDSU a program “in good standing” for this coming season at the football media days.

MLS announcement, major international matches put soccer at center stage

Snapdragon Stadium has become an epicenter for soccer in southern California. In mid-May, Major League Soccer announced the granting of a San Diego expansion team that will kick off beginning in February 2025. The yet-to-be-named team will join the San Diego Wave FC of the National Women’s Soccer League — who are currently in their second season — as tenants in the SDSU-owned facility. Beyond professional teams, the venue played host to multiple international soccer matches. Aztec fans can look forward to the women’s soccer team playing at Snapdragon Stadium against crosstown rival University of San Diego at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 14.

Eric Evelhoch
Eric Evelhoch, '23-24 Sports Editor
Eric Evelhoch (he/him/his) is a senior media studies major who was born outside of Detroit, Michigan, and lived in Ventura County, California, for a decade-plus. He is a returning college student and transfer from Santa Barbara City College, where he served as Sports Editor for The Channels. Evelhoch is also a Sports Director for KCR College Radio, where he restarted play-by-play coverage post-pandemic. Currently, he serves as the play-by-play broadcaster for the SDSU ACHA DI hockey team and has filled in on the call for Aztecs sports on the Mountain West Network. His prior freelance experience includes print, digital, online video and audio-only, and broadcast radio formats covering football, basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer and volleyball.
Roman Aguilar
Roman Aguilar, '23 -24 Sports Editor
Roman Aguilar (he/him/his) is a second-year journalism major with an emphasis in public relations from Stockton, California. Since he was little, he loved watching sports and being able to tell a good story out of an exciting game matchup. He joined the Daily Aztec in 2022 as a contributor and staff writer for the sports section, covering a multitude of sports including football, men's basketball, and water polo, before moving on to sports editor. Aguilar is also a blog writer for KCR College Radio, attending concerts and having the opportunity to cover shows and interview artists. When he isn't writing articles related to music or sports, you can see Roman going to local concert shows on a near-weekly basis and watching his favorite horror movies.
Abigail Segoviano
Abigail Segoviano, Staff Writer
Originally from Richmond, California, Abigail Segoviano is a second-year student, majoring in Journalism with a minor in Spanish. This is Abigail’s second year at the Daily Aztec where she got the opportunity to expand her writing skills as a journalist. As a staff writer last year she had the opportunity to mainly cover the entire season of women’s volleyball and also covered a couple of games for women’s basketball. This year her main focus is to branch out and write for different sports. Additionally to get involved in other sections such as Multimedia and Mundo Azteca. Abigail is the Vice President of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (SDSU Chapter). Abigail received an award from The Daily Aztec: “Consistent Contributor.” In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching sports, listening to music, and going on adventures with friends.
Emily Augustine, '23-24 Graphics Editor