Women’s basketball lost their third home game, falling to No. 3 Stanford

The Aztecs faced a tall challenge against Cameron Brink, Kiki Iriafen and the top-ranked Cardinal
Christie Yeung
San Diego State forward Kim Villalobos fades away for a shot in the paint against No. 3 Stanford on Friday, Dec. 1 at Viejas Arena. The Aztecs lost to the Cardinal 85-44.

San Diego State women’s basketball hosted No. 3 Stanford Friday morning at Viejas Arena, where the Cardinal beat the Aztecs 85-44.

This is the first time the Aztecs (4-4) have hosted a top-three opponent since the No. 2 UConn visited the Mesa on Dec. 21, 2007, in which the Aztecs lost 85-53.

The Aztecs welcomed multiple San Diego County schools for field trip day, with an attendance of 3,708.

Starting from tip-off, Stanford (8-0) took the lead and controlled the whole match at their speed. The Aztecs faced multiple obstacles with a huge one being the height difference.

Cardinal forward Cameron Brink is 6’4”, was a McDonald’s All-American out of high school who ranked no. 3 in her class by ESPN and is a two-time All-American.

Additionally, 6’3” Cardinal forward Kiki Iriafen was also named a McDonald’s All-American. Both dominated the paint offensively and defensively, earning 31 points and 23 rebounds combined while Brink had three blocks.

The Aztecs’ forwards Kim Villalobos (6’0”) and Adryana Quezada (5’10”) had 22 points combined.

“No single person can guard (Brink) so we had two (Aztecs) on her the majority of the time,” said head coach Stacie Terry-Hutson.

“What we should have done a better job of is having all five of our (players) crash. I don’t think one single person could box out those two (Iriafen and Brink) because they are so gifted physically and athletically — if we go back and watch film, I think we can make some adjustments to get better at rebounding.”

Guard Abby Prohaska finished with six points, four rebounds, two assists and one steal. She mentioned what went wrong with their performance against the Cardinal.

“We just didn’t stick to the game plan,” Prohska said. “On some things, they got a lot of second chances on the rebounds. I feel like if we really cut that short in the beginning it really would have been a game… shots just weren’t hitting.”

With seven new players and seven returning players, Terry-Hutson mentioned the dynamic this year’s Aztecs team has.

“Throwing them off to the mix, we’ve had some injuries,” Terry-Hutson said. “With three of our young ladies out that were expected to play, some people have been thrust into some new positions and had to learn a different position than they’ve used to.”

Despite having to step into new roles, Terry-Hutson has been pleased with the progress.

“They’ve really tried to step up in their different roles, and the cohesiveness has been really good,” she said.  “We just hope that you know, they can continue to grow and continue to fight even through some of the growing pains.”

Prohaska mentioned that they have to step up their rebounding in the next game.

“Definitely rebounding, that’s been a weakness of ours,” Prohaska said. “We’re really undersized this year.Just making an emphasis on putting a body on someone and pushing them back. Having that toughness on defense… putting together a really good 40 to 40 minute game.”

The Aztecs will continue their home stand on Monday, Dec. 4 when they take on Cal State LA at 6 p.m. at Viejas Arena.

Abigail Segoviano
Abigail Segoviano, Staff Writer
Originally from Richmond, California, Abigail Segoviano is a second-year student, majoring in Journalism with a minor in Spanish. This is Abigail’s second year at the Daily Aztec where she got the opportunity to expand her writing skills as a journalist. As a staff writer last year she had the opportunity to mainly cover the entire season of women’s volleyball and also covered a couple of games for women’s basketball. This year her main focus is to branch out and write for different sports. Additionally to get involved in other sections such as Multimedia and Mundo Azteca. Abigail is the Vice President of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (SDSU Chapter). Abigail received an award from The Daily Aztec: “Consistent Contributor.” In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching sports, listening to music, and going on adventures with friends.
Christie Yeung, Photographer
Born in Hong Kong, Christie Yeung is a first-generation transfer student who majors in journalism at San Diego State University. Prior to arriving at SDSU, she served as the Gaming/Tech Editor, Features Editor and Managing Editor of SAC Media at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, California where she was placed in on-the-spot competitions such as fourth in News photo, second in Portrait photo, first in Sports photo, first in Social Media and second in News writing, along with a meritorious mention in the Enterprise News Story/Series category from Journalism Association of Community Colleges. She was also awarded second in Best Breaking News Stories by the California College Media Association. During her free time, she likes to watch European soccer games, read, listen to Cantonese-pop music and play video games and Dungeons & Dragons with her online friends. She also has a sweet tooth and cannot turn away anything with Nutella in it.