Women’s basketball handed worst loss of the season, 100-41, to No. 24 UNLV Rebels

UNLV made more 3-pointers (16) than SDSU made field goals (15)
San+Diego+State+forward+Adryana+Quezada+lays+up+the+ball+over+an+UN%3AV+defender+earlier+this+season+at+Viejas+Arena.+Quezada+led+the+team+in+scoring+with+14+points+in+the+blowout+loss+to+the+Rebels+100-41+on+Saturday%2C+Mar.+2nd.+
Natali Gonzalez
San Diego State forward Adryana Quezada lays up the ball over an UN:V defender earlier this season at Viejas Arena. Quezada led the team in scoring with 14 points in the blowout loss to the Rebels 100-41 on Saturday, Mar. 2nd.

The San Diego State women’s basketball team was defeated 100-41 by No. 24 UNLV on Saturday afternoon at Cox Pavilion.

Forward Adryana Quezada scored a team-high 14 points. 

The Rebels had six double-digit scorers, including a game-high 21 points from center Desi-Rae Young. Young also had seven rebounds and five assists.

SDSU (18-12, 9-8 Mountain West) was quadrupled by UNLV (26-2, 16-1) 28-7 at the end of the first quarter.

The Rebels made more 3-pointers (5) than the Aztecs made field goals (3) in the first quarter.

Rebels forward Nneka Obiazor drilled a buzzer-beater 3-pointer to triple up the score on the Aztecs, 51-17 at halftime.

UNLV had six 3-pointers at the half, while SDSU made seven field goals.

SDSU gave up a season-high 100 points when Rebels guard Amarachi Kimpson knocked down UNLV’s 16th 3-pointer of the game in the final 30 seconds.

The basket also handed UNLV its most significant lead (59).

The Aztecs also finished with a season-low in points (41).

The Rebels had 22 fastbreak points, while the Aztecs had none.

The Aztecs will conclude the regular season against Wyoming for senior night on Tuesday, March 5, at Viejas Arena.

Mac Pham
Mac Pham, Staff Writer
Mac Pham is a Journalism major and a senior transfer student from Palomar Community College. He joined the Daily Aztec in 2023. Writing stories, story telling, reading and talking to people is something he enjoys doing, so he figured why not talk sports with that. His favorite aspect of sports writing is being an analyst and breaking down the details of a football or a basketball game. In his spare time, Mac is an avid swimmer and likes to play basketball. He hopes to be a sports writer whose calling card is writing articles filled with sports analysis. Mac is bilingual in Vietnamese.
Natali Gonzalez
Natali Gonzalez, '23-24 Arts & Culture Editor
Natali Gonzalez is an MA student in Rhetoric and Writing Studies. Originally from Ogden, Utah, she got her BA in English Teaching from Weber State University. While there, she worked as a research assistant examining the role of technology in K-12 education. She also worked for Upward Bound as an instructor and tutor. Now, at SDSU, she looks forward to learning about professional writing alongside increasing her knowledge about teaching practices. Outside of the classroom, she enjoys being outdoors, especially exploring the San Diego beaches and going on hikes, and doing yoga and meditation.