Baseball defeats Fresno State in second game of series 7-1

Young bats and a dominant showing on the mound proved to be too much for Bulldogs
San+Diego+State+outfielder+Irvin+Weems+hits+at+bat+on+base%2C+earlier+this+season+at+Tony+Gwynn+Stadium.+Weems+scored+against+the+Bulldogs+early+off+a+RBI+double+to+help+the+Aztecs+defeat+the+bulldogs+7-1+on+Sunday%2C+Mar.+3rd.+
Natali Gonzalez
San Diego State outfielder Irvin Weems hits at bat on base, earlier this season at Tony Gwynn Stadium. Weems scored against the Bulldogs early off a RBI double to help the Aztecs defeat the bulldogs 7-1 on Sunday, Mar. 3rd.

The San Diego State baseball team (4-6) tied the series with Fresno State (6-3) at one game each Saturday afternoon with a convincing 7-1 win.

Less than 24 hours after being bull-rushed by the Bulldogs offense in a 12-6 loss, the Aztecs put together a complete game from start to finish in what was a must-win game to keep the series victory alive.

The action on the SDSU side began from the moment the first pitch came towards home plate, with infielder Finly Bates sending a leadoff double into the outfield. Infielder Colby Turner picked up his first of four hits on the day with an RBI single to bring in Bates and make it a 1-0 Aztec lead. The lead at the end of the first would stand at 2-0 due to an RBI double from outfielder Irvin Weems.

Weems and Turner got right back to it in the top of the 2nd for SDSU, hitting RBI doubles to make the game 5-0 in favor of the Aztecs. This score would stand until the top of the 5th, where the Scarlet and Black strung together a pair of hits to make it 6-0 SDSU.

The Aztec defense put on a clinic, allowing a base hit in the 5th inning. This would be one of only five hits allowed by starting pitcher Omar Serrano en route to his nine-inning, one-run performance, going the distance for SDSU and keeping the bullpen arms rested and available for the series’ last game.

The breakout freshman for the Aztecs put the finishing touches on the game in the top of the 7th, with Bates lining a base hit and Turner bringing them both home with a 2-run home run, his first of the year, pushing the lead to 7-0. Bates and Turner combined for eight hits and 3 RBIs on nine plate appearances for the game, spearheading the offensive barrage for SDSU. 

The Aztecs finished the game with consistent defense and a 7-1 win over Fresno State. This win put the series’ final game as a winner-take-all later that afternoon.

The Scarlet and Black will return home to Tony Gwynn stadium Tuesday at 6 p.m. for the red-out night against the University of San Diego.

Jacob Fogelstrom
Jacob Fogelstrom, Staff Writer
Stemming from Brentwood, California, Jacob Fogelstrom is a third-year student majoring in Journalism. This is Jacob’s first year at the Daily Aztec. Prior to the DA, Jacob wrote for the LPC Express news, as well as his high school newspaper. Growing up, Jacob's life revolved around sports. His father and grandfather played college football, with his grandfather being in the Fresno State hall of fame. In his free time, Jacob likes to go to the gym, play basketball, and explore his passion of photography. Jacobs goals in the Daily Aztec are to grow his writing and tell the stories of athletes on a deeper level than simply what happens during game-day.
Natali Gonzalez
Natali Gonzalez, '23-24 Arts & Culture Editor
Natali Gonzalez is an MA student in Rhetoric and Writing Studies. Originally from Ogden, Utah, she got her BA in English Teaching from Weber State University. While there, she worked as a research assistant examining the role of technology in K-12 education. She also worked for Upward Bound as an instructor and tutor. Now, at SDSU, she looks forward to learning about professional writing alongside increasing her knowledge about teaching practices. Outside of the classroom, she enjoys being outdoors, especially exploring the San Diego beaches and going on hikes, and doing yoga and meditation.