Softball goes back-to-back with 2-1 double-header victory vs San Jose State

A late RBI single from Alyssa Garcia scored the go-ahead winning run at the top of the 7th inning for the Aztecs
Utility+Mac+Barbara+catches+a+ball+at+plate+as+a+hitter+runs+towards+the+base+earlier+this+season+at+SDSU+Softball+Stadium.+The+Aztecs+defeated+San+Jose+State+in+a+2-1+victory.+
Christie Yeung
Utility Mac Barbara catches a ball at plate as a hitter runs towards the base earlier this season at SDSU Softball Stadium. The Aztecs defeated San Jose State in a 2-1 victory.

San Diego State softball took game two of their away Mountain West series vs the San Jose State Spartans with a 2-1 victory coming from a late 7th inning go-ahead run. 

The Aztecs (25-14, 12-3 Mountain West) continued their Mountain West dominance with back-to-back victories vs San Jose State on a doubleheader Friday night. The doubleheader victories put the Aztecs on top of the Mountain West standings.

In the top of the 3rd inning, the Aztecs were down 1-0 as AJ Murphy singled to right field to bring home Katie Goldberg to tie the game at one apiece.

The game stood scoreless for the next three innings until the Aztecs would break the deadlock with an Alyssa Garcia RBI single to center field in the top of the 7th inning to give the Aztecs a late lead going to the bottom of the 7th. 

Dee Dee Hernandez ended the night as she retired the last three Spartan batters recording her second save of the season, as the final score 2-1 for the Aztecs.

It was another stellar pitching outing for Cece Cellura as she recorded her 7th win of the season (7-3), going for six innings pitched with four strikeouts, only allowing three hits and one earned run throughout the game. 

The Aztecs continue their exceptional away performances as they improve their away record to 9-3, with a 6-1 away record in the Mountain West. 

They look to complete the series sweep as they continue the series vs the San Jose Spartans on Sunday, April 14 at noon. 

Christie Yeung, Photographer
Born in Hong Kong, Christie Yeung is a first-generation transfer student who majors in journalism at San Diego State University. Prior to arriving at SDSU, she served as the Gaming/Tech Editor, Features Editor and Managing Editor of SAC Media at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, California where she was placed in on-the-spot competitions such as fourth in News photo, second in Portrait photo, first in Sports photo, first in Social Media and second in News writing, along with a meritorious mention in the Enterprise News Story/Series category from Journalism Association of Community Colleges. She was also awarded second in Best Breaking News Stories by the California College Media Association. During her free time, she likes to watch European soccer games, read, listen to Cantonese-pop music and play video games and Dungeons & Dragons with her online friends. She also has a sweet tooth and cannot turn away anything with Nutella in it.