Devour hearty helpings in East Village

Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor
    Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

Between the tall buildings and crowded streets of San Diego’s downtown area, Richard Walker’s Pancake House is ready to serve piping-hot, award-winning baked apple pancakes and other savory breakfast dishes for the hungry patron. The menu has a contemporary collection of pancakes, crepes and waffles as well as a variety of egg plates and omelets.

This unique restaurant boasts a clean and modern looking interior that still offers the coziness of an old-style waffle house. With an outside patio, customers can experience the buzz of the city while enjoying their meals.

Richard Walker’s specializes in pancakes. For something out of the ordinary, both the apple pancakes served à la mode with creamy Häagen-Dazs ice cream and the baked cinnamon pecan pancakes made with tender pecans and pure Saigon cinnamon are fantastic choices. The pancake menu also includes potato cakes, Swedish cakes and buckwheat cakes. However, those seeking a more traditional plate will still find good old-fashioned silver dollar flapjacks with maple syrup ready to be served.

For customers with a sweet tooth, the strawberry pancakes or raspberry crepes will keep those taste buds yearning for more. Mandarin orange Chinese crepes topped with tropical sauce and dusted with powdered sugar or blueberry and sour cream crepes with a dash of Triple Sec are a delight.

Those craving a great omelet will have a difficult time selecting from the long list of choices. The Best Western with cheese is an omelet filled with ham, onions, bell peppers with a choice of jalapeno or cheddar cheese. Veggie eaters will love Veronica’s Very Veggie, a combination of fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, broccoli and melted cheese.

The smell of hickory-smoked bacon and savory sausage fill the air and make this eatery an enticing spot for those who love a great breakfast.

For the late diner, a lunchtime menu consisting of grilled cheese sandwiches, salads and light pancake orders is also available.

Customer service is absolutely second to none at this eatery with a friendly and courteous staff ready to make customers feel at home. Expect a short wait on weekends but the quick and friendly staff will get diners seated in no time.

Richard Walker’s Pancake House is located at 520 Front St. between Island Avenue and Market Street in the heart of downtown San Diego.

Devour hearty helpings in East Village