Chula Vista pizza joint tosses flavor to effortlessly delectable heights

Kayla Miller, Staff Photographer
    Kayla Miller, Staff Photographer

Pizza elitists take note: A short drive south into the heart of downtown Chula Vista is the home of the best pie in all of San Diego.

There are no gimmicks at La Bella Pizza Garden; no snobby “designer” pizzas with overpriced cheese and toppings such as mashed potatoes, which, by the way, never belong on a pizza.

The servers don’t feel the need to oversell because the pizza speaks for itself.

La Bella’s traditional pepperoni pizza is a combination of sauce patrons will want to swim in and a great wall of cheese hiding a generous heaping of pepperoni. It’s robust, delicious and downright dreamy.

A large version of this piece of paradise will set diners back $16.

Ask for Papa’s Favorite Pizza and get a combination of mushrooms, pepperoni and sausage. The small pie costs $6.75.

And if the pizza alone isn’t enough of a carbohydrate fix, the cheese garlic bread is to die for. It comes with the above-mentioned sauce to swim in. A small order is $4.25 and the large is $6.75.

For a craft beer enthusiast hoping to get their hops on, La Bella’s satisfies. Most recently found on tap are Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, Port Brewing’s Shark Attack and Karl Strauss Boardwalk Black Rye.

For more than a half-century, La Bella’s has been family owned and operated by the Raso family. The restaurant’s atmosphere is family friendly and neighbors living nearby consider La Bella’s to be a staple in the community.

A few years ago, the Rasos expanded next door. Now, La Bella Café and Games is a 9,000 square foot game center with billiards, darts and video games.

Hungry yet? Visit La Bella Pizza Garden at 373 Third Ave. in Chula Vista. Also, visit online at labellapizza.com.