Mediterranean cuisine floods tastebuds with love

Shirley Gillette, Staff Photographer
    Shirley Gillette, Staff Photographer

Rarely busy but always delicious, Fattoush is one of the best dining options in all of Rolando. Although Fattoush is not an ideal place for drunken late-night eats, it does provide customers with consistently brilliant Mediterranean cuisine in a family-oriented setting.

Diners will notice various hookahs on display, along with some eye-catching art and café-style seating.

Behind the counter is a growing display of foreign currency given to the restaurant from visitors and locals returning from vacation. Recent travelers with unconverted currency should feel free to contribute to the wall.

Furthermore, the kitchen opens into the dining area, allowing guests to watch cooks in action or to catch a rare glimpse of Al Jazeera on the television.

The sizzling garlic chicken is one of the best items on the menu as it includes rice, hummus, pita and a salad.

For those with a lighter appetite, the kafta kebob or falafel sandwich are excellent, portable and affordable options. Sandwiches can be paired with French fries, soup or salad for a few dollars more.

Fattoush’s mint lemonade is fantastic on a hot day. However, this tasty drink is equally worthwhile in all weather conditions. As uncomplicated as it sounds, this lemonade is unique and difficult to replicate. The makers of this fine concoction simply contend that the secret ingredient is love.

Fattoush’s baklava, a deliciously gooey Mediterranean dessert, is also worth a try.

All food is made to order with a level of care rarely seen in today’s restaurants. As a result, the final product is consistently amazing.

While the food is wonderfully tasty, Fattoush stands apart because of its service. The staff cares for its customers with a sincerity and enthusiasm that leaves guests blushing and makes it nearly impossible to be disappointed. The unbelievably kind and welcoming atmosphere at Fattoush sets diners at ease and inspires a loyalty among regulars consistent with a family bond.

Younger members of the family often hang out in the restaurant, doing homework or socializing, which further intensifies the familiar atmosphere.

This restaurant doubles as a hookah lounge, which draws popularity as nights progress. If shisha is appealing, stop by and smoke on the patio while enjoying an Arabic tea or Turkish coffee.

For those who don’t enjoy hookah, try to arrive early in the evening to avoid the smoke. The restaurant occasionally puts on events such as dance shows and extensive buffets, so be sure to ask about what is coming next.

Fattoush opens for lunch and closes late in the evening. However, the parking lot can often be cramped, so be prepared to shimmy into a tight spot. The restaurant also offers takeout and accepts phone orders, which is especially convenient for those looking to take advantage of its quick sandwich options.

This authentic dining experience is perfect for lovers of both Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine or simply for those wanting to try something new.