Popular stop whips yogurt into berry icy delights

Laurel Atkinson, Staff Photographer
    Laurel Atkinson, Staff Photographer

There are a lot of delicious berries in this world. Some you snack on, a few work well in cereal and oatmeal, others can be baked into piping-hot pies, but only one is going to offer that sinfully delicious dessert while not straying into the naughty side of confectionary foods.

That one is Pinkberry.

No, it’s not really a pink-colored berry as the name suggests: It’s far better than some sexual innuendo. This delicious treat for any time of the day or night is made with only top-quality ingredients and an inspired combination of gelato and fresh fruit with soft-serve ice cream from a Hawaiian pineapple plantation. If any of these sound short of heavenly, the palate in question needs some taste bud reconstruction.

Pinkberry, unlike similar competitors and gas stations in Oregon, is not a self-serve establishment. Going into one of its upscale dessert factories is more like being waited on in a fancy restaurant. There’s no limit to how many toppings are allowed either, so don’t hold back. It would be a travesty to ignore what the palate demands and miss out on this treat’s health benefits.

Organic strawberry jam, toasted breadcrumbs, mochi and kiwi are a few available healthy additions, and brownie or Oreo crumbles are a few of the more sinful toppings for someone who really wants a sweet right hook to the jaw.

The full list of healthy additions available is longer than a class reader. The yogurt has a robust supplement of calcium, protein and great-for-you active live cultures of thermophilus, bulgaricus and acidophilus.

This gluten-free treat is made with sustainability and humanity in mind as well. Pinkberry’s Swirly Goodness is made only with nonfat milk and nonfat yogurt and has also received the National Yogurt Association’s Live & Active Cultures seal.

Students who have not yet had the opportunity to try Pinkberry should know there is a new location opening today in Fashion Valley. From 5 to 9 p.m. today, this new spot will be giving out free small yogurts with one topping. There was no mention of “while supplies last” for the event, but anyone with half a brain will attempt to go early to avoid lines.

Not returning on a regular basis may be more of a challenge than deciding what combination to order, so plan for seconds, thirds and 20ths of this not-so-naughty treat.