The best movies to watch on a date

What satisfies the perfect date? Is it taking a hot-air balloon ride overlooking the Eiffel Tower, sipping champagne with a loved one? Or is it taking a carriage ride in Central Park, snuggled under a warm blanket as snow starts to fall ever so gently to the ground? Sometimes the perfect date can simply be to grab dinner and see a movie. In the event of uncertainty regarding which movie to watch, look no further. Here is a list of the greatest date movies.

“When Harry Met Sally”
This movie stands out from the pack because it really shows the true perspectives of the male and the female concerning relationships, which is not something presented in very many romantic comedies. Director Rob Reiner, who has also directed such classics as “A Few Good Men,” “The Princess Bride,” and “Stand By Me,” tells the story of Harry (Billy Crystal) and Sally (Meg Ryan) who meet through a series of chance encounters and ultimately develop a friendship. But, their friendship brings one question to attention: Can men and women ever just be friends, or must sexual attraction always prevail? According to Harry, “Men and women can’t be friends … the sex part always gets in the way.” Audiences of both genders can share in the laughs, as they are able to relate to the different aspects of both main characters. And to top it all off, there’s an “O”-ver the top scene at a diner that’s guaranteed to spark conversation after the credits roll.

“Annie Hall”
This is a Woody Allen masterpiece. “Annie Hall” is another romantic comedy that portrays a realistic look at the relationship between the sexes. The man in this case is Alvy Singer (Allen), who essentially acts as himself. Diane Keaton, who sparked a generation of women wearing men’s clothing, plays Annie, Alvy’s love interest. The movie is a hilarious look inside the life of a neurotic Jew and his equally neurotic girlfriend and how they cope with everyday life. Between the sharp, witty dialogue and the hysterical commentary and monologues delivered by Allen, there will be no shortage of laughter among audiences, making it a perfect movie to watch with a date.

“500 Days of Summer”
Sticking with the theme of realistic portrayals of romantic relationships, “500 Days of Summer” takes a look at the indie love between “pixie manic dream girl” Zooey Deschanel, and the dashing Joesph Gordon-Levitt. What’s special about this movie is the narrator makes it very clear from the opening scene that “this (movie) is a story of boy meets girl … you should know upfront, this is not a love story.” It portrays an honest, modern romance, which is not dragged down with the typical romantic comedy clichés. Both men and women will enjoy the quirkiness this movie brings to the table, as well as how true to life it depicts the pain and emotion that can result from a broken relationship. With lots of laughs and a little bit of drama (not to mention eye candy for both the fellas and the ladies), “500 Days of Summer” is sure to be a favorite.

“Knocked Up”
Upon hearing the premise, this movie does not sound like it would be the greatest to see on a date. The main character gets pregnant after a one-night stand with an unemployed, chubby stoner with a laugh like Chewbacca’s. Sounds like every college girl’s worst nightmare. But after getting to know this “sperm donor” named Ben, played by the hilarious Seth Rogen, audiences quickly fall in love with his intelligent wit, fast one-liners and all around charm. The chemistry between Ben and Alison (Katherine Heigl) works nicely throughout the movie as he slowly helps her let go of her frigid ways, and she helps him become more of an adult. Produced by the same people that brought audiences “Superbad,” “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” and “The 40-Year-Old Virgin,” “Knocked Up” features a hilarious supporting cast including Jason Segel and Jonah Hill that will ultimately have dates laughing to tears.

—Samantha Hirsch is a media studies junior.

The best movies to watch on a date