Women’s tennis runs into brick wall

The San Diego State women’s tennis team was in cruise control after easily dismantling its first two opponents this season.

Then it was hit by a a desert storm, courtesy of Arizona State.

SDSU (2-1, 0-0 Western Athletic Conference) was dropped by an extremely talented ASU squad (2-1, 1-1 Pacific-10 Conference South) Saturday at East Courts.

Sophomore Maggie Cole was the lone Aztec to come away victorious of the six singles matches. In doubles play SDSU didn’t fare any better, losing all three matches and falling 8-1 to the 16th-ranked team in the nation.

ASU beat the Aztecs for the second time in as many meetings. Its first win came in the first round of last year’s NCAA Tournament.

“We went in with the attitude that we should be able to beat (the Sun Devils),” SDSU senior All-WAC player Emma Doyle said. “Or at least come a lot closer than we did today.”

The matches weren’t as brutal as the 8-1 final score may seem to indicate.

“We were with them from one through six in singles and doubles all the way, except for when it came to the important points,” Doyle said.

ASU was on top of its game, Aztecs coach Peter Mattera said.

“(The Sun Devils) played the big points tougher than we did, and I think the bottom line is that they were competitively more ready to play today.”

SDSU, ranked No. 34 in the nation, did not appear to be as finely tuned as its opponents on the other side of the net.

“This was our third match, and our first two were both really easy matches,” Aztecs All-WAC junior Jeanette Bhaguandas said. “None of us were really mentally ready for this. Key situations are when you need to be tough we weren’t.”

The weekend wasn’t a total loss for SDSU, though. It managed to salvage a game against UC Santa Barbara, winning 9-0 on Friday.

“It hasn’t been a terrible weekend. We beat up on a decent UCSB team, but today we weren’t the match for ASU,” said Mattera.

Women’s tennis runs into brick wall