Arson attempt forces Zura Hall evacuated

The dumpster on the bottom of Zura Residence Hall caught fire after an unidentified person dropped an object in the trash chute on Jan. 28.

All residents were evacuated, and no injuries were reported. The San Diego Fire Department responded to the fire.

“The object was probably a firecracker,” said Marc Fox, University Police crime prevention specialist. “Since the chutes go to all floors, we don’t know which floor it was dropped in. We have no leads, but it is a felony to start a fire in an inhabited dwelling.”

Anyone with information should contact the University Police investigations unit at 594-5727.

Ex-boyfriend in violation of restraining order

A man was arrested after he allegedly violated a temporary restraining order obtained by his ex-girlfriend, a female student at San Diego State University.

The man, 24-year-old Omen Hussein of San Diego, was arrested near West Commons on Jan. 27 after he attempted to contact his ex-girlfriend regarding their relationship, Fox said.

“The woman was with her friend when Hussein approached her,” Fox said. “He attempted to talk to her and she told him to leave. When he didn’t leave, her friend called the University Police.”

When University Police officers arrived, they found Hussein outside of West Commons, Fox said. Hussein ran, but when he saw that he was being chased, he stopped. Hussein was arrested, cited and released. Hussein is not enrolled at SDSU.

Man arrested for driving under the influence

A 22-year-old man was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol in the 5200 block of College Avenue near SDSU on Sunday.

The driver, Anthony S. Estrada of San Diego, was stopped by University Police officers because he was driving a vehicle with expired license plates.

“Estrada had alcohol odor on his breath and exhibited signs of intoxication,” Fox said. “The officers administered a field sobriety test, and Estrada was determined to be under the influence.”

Estrada was booked into county jail and bail was set at $1,600.

Drivers aged 21 and older who have a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 percent or more are considered to be under the influence, according to a DMV pamphlet. The minimum punishment for a DUI is a four-month driver’s license suspension.

Drivers younger then the age of 21 with any amount of alcohol in their blood automatically have their licenses suspended for one year, according to California’s “zero tolerance” laws.

CRIME LOG

The following crimes were reported to University Police between Jan. 27 and Feb. 3:

Annoying/obscene/threatening phone call2

Assault with intent to commit rape1

Battery2

Disturbing the peace 7

Disturbing the peace/fighting1

Driving under the influence1

Fire6

Grand theft1

Minor in possession of alcohol2

Petty theft3

Stalking2

Traffic collision3

Vandalism3

Vehicle burglary6

Vehicle theft4