Keep Football for Now

Contrary to popular belief on this campus, San Diego State stillhas a Division I football program. But, were it up to some pundits,the team would be sacked quicker than Lon Sheriff after a safetyblitz.

The team is not a moneymaker, they say. It sucks funds away fromother athletic programs, they say.

They, of course, are right — at the moment.

At the moment, the Aztecs are in the midst of a three-year stretchof playing 11-22 football. The fact that attendance has dwindled doesnot necessarily mean SDSU fans will not support football — it justmeans they won’t support bad football.

Whether that makes them front-runners or savvy is a matter ofconjecture.

But, the fact remains; this school will show support if given areason.

As recently as 1992, an average of 45,399 fans showed up at JackMurphy Stadium to see Marshall Faulk — on a team that went 5-5-1.

What’s more, look at the schools that have dropped football. Muchhas been made about schools like Long Beach State and Cal-StateNorthridge that have enjoyed moderate athletic success since ditchingtheir football teams.

Good for them. Still, who ever hears about either LBSU or CSUN inany kind of sports context? Doesn’t happen.

Despite SDSU’s complete lack of success of late, Aztecs Athleticsis viewed as resting on a higher echelon by the sporting community.Division I football means big-time athletics.

But if this is not enough to sway you, consider the following:

Removal of the team would destroy the delicate checks and balancessystem between the frat-boy mooks and jocks.

No more catchy music videos with the stirring chorus “S-D-S-U…here we come y’all!” will be produced.

That fan wearing the afro wig and the Larry Ned jersey will be outwandering the streets on Saturday nights.

Disturbing stuff.

All levity aside, times are clearly bad for Aztecs football, anddeep-sixing the squad would be an easy solution for athletics’financial woes — but it would also be a cop-out.

Our take? A better solution is to win a few football games. Itwould be a new strategy in these parts, but hell, it’s worth a shot.

Keep Football for Now