Erratic play stymies Aztecs

Inconsistency is enough to bring down even the great teams. In any sport at the collegiate level, you can’t play on again, off again and expect to be successful.

The Aztecs (6-5; 0-2 Western Athletic Conference) were in action Friday against Texas A&M (6-1; 1-0 Big 12) and then on Saturday against the University of Southern California (4-6; 0-2 Pac 10).

SDSU scratched and clawed but was edged out by both teams, losing to Texas A&M, 5-4, and to USC by the same score.

The Aztecs, acting as the model of inconsistency, are having trouble stringing individual game victories together to produce winning match results.

“We’re playing well, but we’re not all playing well at the same time,” SDSU sophomore Sarah Donovan said. “We all need to pull together and just get it going all on the same day.”

The Aztecs are putting up a tough fight againsttheir opponents, though. Against Texas A&M, the score of the singles matches was 4-2. They needed to sweep their three doubles matches to come away victorious. That didn’t happen.

However, the USC match was closer as SDSU fought to a 3-3 tie after singles play.

“Everyone comes out focused and wanting to win, but just one or two points here and there, that makes the whole difference,” SDSU senior Emma Doyle said.

The Aztecs know everyone has to be on the top of their game at the same time.

“(Friday) I played well but half of the team didn’t,” Donovan said. “We ended up losing really close. But Saturday, I didn’t play well but much of the team did, and it was close again.”

Erratic play stymies Aztecs