LIVE AND DANGEROUS: Little Boots shows big talent last Saturday at Casbah

Mariano Robles / Staff Photographer

San Diego fans welcomed U.K.’s Little Boots to a sold-out performance at the Casbah last Saturday night in an evening filled with pairings of perfectly balanced new wave, electro and pop tunes. Listeners couldn’t help but groove to Little Boots’ set following performances by Class Actress and Dragonette.

Class Actress warmed the crowd as lead singer Elizabeth Harper’s vocals smoothly permeated the Casbah. As she swayed to the rhythm of the music, Harper’s voice sounded reminiscent of Blondie á la “Heart of Glass.” Class Actress’ set was a pleasant surprise among the world of opening acts, which are oftentimes unimpressive and disappointing.

While Class Actress succeeded in captivating the audience, Dragonette helped to liven things up with a more upbeat set.

Dragonette brought its fair share of electro beats to the stage following Class Actress’ mellower new-wave set. Singer Martina Sorbara resembled an American Apparel model as she danced in a midriff-revealing loose, white top with black shiny leggings and rocked a bowl haircut. Unlike an American Apparel ad, Sorbara kept it classy as her band livened up the crowd. Band cohesion throughout its performance definitely helped make Dragonette’s piece a teaser for the real excitement that was Little Boots.

The crowd’s anticipation climaxed once Little Boots, the stage name of Victoria Hesketh, came on stage wearing a metallic cape over her head resembling her to a futuristic Little Red Riding Hood.

In case the crowd had forgotten how hot its tickets were, Hesketh had a sign that read “sold out” attached to the front of her cape.

Instead of signaling preparatory alerts to a colonial army with its fife and drum intro (albeit minus the fife) Hesketh’s first song of the night, “Ghost,” induced cheers from the crowd. Dancing ensued for the rest of the show.

Little Boots threw off her cape during her first song and revealed a black sequined muumuu, which looked good on her despite its bagginess.

For the rest of her concert, fans danced to electro-pop audio candy such as “Click,” “Mathematics,” “Remedy” and finally “Stuck on Repeat” with an acoustic intro.

By the end of the night, fans had been treated to a performance filled with electronic gadgets, including a synthesizing keyboard known as a keytar, which Little Boots played.
    In a gracious exit off the stage, Little Boots showed love to her audience, giving a shout-out to an underage fan who had been standing outside the Casbah; this venue is for a 21 and older crowd.

It was an appropriate way to end Little Boots’ last performance of her U.S. tour.

“Little Boots is postponing all U.S. and Canadian tour dates after her April 18 Coachella performance,” her blog says. Until then, Little Boots’ only show will be at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami on March 26.

For more information on Little Boots, visit www.littlebootsmusic.co.uk.