Revamped Airline Security Inadequate

ByGina ChaconContributing Columnist

Thirty-nine dollars for a one-way ticket is a great price to fly,right? Wrong! Nothing is worth your life.

After making four trips on an airplane this winter, I realized howdangerous flying really is. You may think you are safe because of theheightened security enacted after Sept. 11, but those changes arelargely ineffectual. When you step foot on an airplane, you areputting yourself in a very dangerous situation.

After taking part in the standard questioning session conducted bythe airline staff, I proceeded to the gate. When I walked through themetal detector, an alarm sounded. The annoying beeping promptedairport security officials to check me out more thoroughly.

So, I took off my shoes and raised my arms to the side. Theso-called security officer scanned my body with the metal detector.Along the way, I happened to beep three times, which caused nearbynational guards and officers to stare at me. The first beep was nearmy wrist, which could be explained by my rings.

The second beep was on my back, which happened to be my bra clasp.The third beep was around my waist, which oddly enough was caused bythe buttons on my jeans.

Now, keep in mind, the security people did not do any furthersearches. For all they knew, I could have been hiding a small knife,or a box cutter. They didn’t even ask me any questions. So after fiveminutes of a metal-detecting frisk, I was cleared and allowed to headto my gate.

Of course, I couldn’t be allowed to just hop on the plane. I wasselected for a random search.

Basically, I had to let security look through all of mybelongings. Unfortunately, all they did was lift up a sweater andunzip a few pockets here and there. I could have anything in my bags,but with their lack of examination skills and complete laziness, theywould never have known.

After that useless inspection, I was able to board the airplane. Ipaid close attention to the airline staff as it checked passengers’identification cards before they boarded the plane. When it was myturn, I noticed my ID was upside down and unreadable. However, thestaff member still allowed me to board that plane, paying noattention to the name on the ticket and whether it matched what wason my ID.

As I sat in my seat, awaiting takeoff, a young man sat down besideme. We ended up chatting during the entire flight. The mostinteresting part was when this young man showed me what was in hispockets — needles. Why did this man have needles? He said it wasbecause he was making necklaces using beads.

I asked him how he managed to get through security. He explainedthat the metal detector did not sound when he walked through it.

So I ask myself, why do we have metal detectors in airports? Theyobviously serve no purpose.

The truth is, there is no real security at our airports. Thesecurity staff is just going through the motions. But you would neverknow, what with the media bombarding the airwaves with accounts ofthe “heightened airport security” and long waits.

The security I faced at the airport was completely inadequate. HadI wanted to, I could have easily smuggled a weapon onto that plane.The question is, when will our government and our airlines decide toactually make us safe — instead of making us feel safe?

–Gina Chacon is a journalism senior.

–This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of TheDaily Aztec. Send e-mail to letters@thedailyaztec.com.Anonymous letters will not be printed — include your full name,major and year in school.

Revamped Airline Security Inadequate