Clements, Aztecs win 11th in a row

Peter Kluch, Senior Staff Photographer
    Peter Kluch, Senior Staff Photographer

The best way to describe the current San Diego State women’s basketball season can be summed up with last night’s game: It played shaky early, but found a rhythm moving forward and never looked back.

SDSU (15-4, MW 5-0) extended its winning streak to 11 games after defeating Wyoming (6-12, MW 2-3) 56-45 in Viejas Arena.

The Aztecs were led by junior guard Courtney Clements, who scored 21 points and grabbed six rebounds.

“We knew they were going to be physical,” Clements said. “Coach Burns and the rest of the staff prepared us really well.”

SDSU found itself down 3-2 after a three pointer by the Cowgirls’ Ashley Sickles with 16:15 left in the first half. Clements answered back with a three pointer of her own to take the lead 5-3 on the following possession. The Aztecs controlled the game from that point forward.

Junior guard Chelsea Hopkins sparked a 9-3 SDSU run with an acrobatic layup, giving the Aztecs a 30-21 lead heading into the half.

Hopkins recorded nine assists, while snatching nine rebounds. Freshman guard Ahjalee Harvey proved to be capable of stepping in when needed, providing a solid performance off the bench with nine points.

Wyoming’s Sickles led the Cowgirls with nine points in the first half, but went 0-5 shooting in the second half. SDSU head coach Beth Burns can take credit for that, unleashing her full court defense when necessary.

“Shooters need to shoot,” Burns said. “We felt that if we could exhaust them, making them work that hard just to get the ball up the floor, it would effect them with missed shots eventually.”

The Aztecs’ lockdown defense wore out the Cowgirls, forcing them to shoot low percentage shots with the shot clock running out during numerous possessions.

Wyoming shot just 31.9 percent from the field and wasn’t allowed any easy second chances either, getting out-rebounded by SDSU by a 42-29 margin.

The Aztecs will be in action again at noon on Saturday at Viejas Arena when they take on Colorado State.

Clements, Aztecs win 11th in a row