C.U.R.E Africa lends hand

SDSU students hosting C.U.R.E. Africa’s inaugural banquet. | Paige Nelson, Staff Photographer

Communities United Reviving East Africa held its inaugural banquet last Sunday at the East African Community and Cultural Center. Proceeds from ticket sales for the event will go toward building wells in Somalia, one of the hardest hit regions of East Africa’s famine. C.U.R.E. Africa was organized by San Diego State students Mohamed Ahmed and Yousef Abraham in an effort to strengthen the educational and political enhancement of East African communities and African descendants in America. Their mission is to bring awareness and educate the American population about the conditions that plague East Africa while facilitating discussions about how to develop sustainable solutions

East Africa is facing its worst drought in 60 years, prompting the United Nations to declare a famine in the region. According to C.U.R.E . Africa representatives, overcrowded refugee camps in Kenya and Ethiopia are receiving an estimate of 3,000 new refugees every day. The famine has created the world’s largest refugee camp in Dadaab, Kenya, where more than 450,000 refugees receive shelter. The camp was built to hold 90,000 people. Dr.Sophia Pandya, professor of religious studies at California State University, Long Beach, spoke at the event about her experience during a recent trip to East Africa. “I saw evidence of a lot of poverty. Gas prices are almost as high as they are here, so it’s really hard for people to get around and get the aid that they need,” Pandya said.

While the event’s primary goal was to raise awareness on the famine in East Africa, it also gave attendees a chance to experience the rich culture and traditions of the region. East African cuisine was on the menu for the banquet with many of the volunteers wearing traditional gowns from Ethiopia and Eritrea. Entertainment included performances from local singer / guitarist Kylle Thomasson and spoken word poet Vouge Robinson. C.U.R.E. Africa co-founder Mohamed Ahmed believes it’s important for people to experience the positive aspects of African culture.

“Many of the images of Africa you see on television focus on the poverty and hunger,” Ahmed said. “We wanted to display the beautiful side of the culture to the community.” Awards were then given to community leaders who have worked to raise awareness and give aid to East Africa. Daniel W. Wordsworth, President and CEO of American Refugee Committee served as the evenings keynote speaker. The ARC is an international nonprofit that provides aid to areas of the world affected by natural disasters and famine. Wordsworth’s message centered on finding the common bond all humans have in order to generate a sense of philanthropy and action when people need help. For its efforts, C.U.R.E. Africa was selected as the primary beneficiary of funds raised from SDSU’s Greek Week activities.

C.U.R.E Africa lends hand