Alumna lectures about Igbo women

Alumna Antwanisha Alameen speaking in Storm Hall. | Peter Kluch, senior staff photographer

San Diego State’s Department of Africana Studies hosted the final spring installment of its 40th anniversary lecture series Monday in Storm Hall. SDSU graduate Antwanisha Alameen served as the guest lecturer for the event. Alameen presented her dissertation about “Women’s Avenues to Political Power in Patriarchal Igbo Society: 1800-1900” for students and Africana studies faculty.

The Igbo people originate from Igboland, a cultural territory in southeastern Nigeria. Prior to British colonization in 1900, women played a significant role in the political structure in Igboland.

According to Alameen’s dissertation, the political power women possessed was rooted in their spiritual authority. The women were believed to have strong spiritual connections to the goddess deities in Igbo religion. Spiritual authority was an avenue used by Igbo women to exercise agency and benefit their communities.

Alameen’s interest in this topic grew during her undergraduate studies at SDSU.

“When I came to San Diego State, I felt that a lot of the literature I read was focused on what men did,” she said. “As an African-American woman, I wanted to understand my place in history.”

After receiving her bachelor’s degree in Africana studies, Alameen, a Richmond native, completed her master’s at Michigan State’s African American and African Studies Department . She is currently pursuing her doctorate in the same discipline at Temple University.

“It’s important for African-American students to understand our history did not start at enslavement,” Alameen said. “We had a rich history in Africa before our ancestors were brought here.”

Dr. Adisa A. Alkebulan served as one of Alameen’s professors while she attended SDSU.

“I’m very proud of her,” Alkebulan said. “One of the things I’m most appreciative of is for a former student who’s doing great things to come back and not only present new information to current students, but serve as a role model and example of what they can do when they finish at SDSU.”

Alumna lectures about Igbo women