Ashley, Thomas set pace

The San Diego State women’s track and field team ran fast, jumped high and threw far this past weekend at the Mt. San Antonio College Relays and Beach Invitational.

On Friday and Saturday SDSU competed in both the Mt. SAC Relays, located at the Hilmer Lodge Stadium at Mt. San Antonio College and the Beach Invitational located in Cerritos.

“Overall, we had a lot of personal records, a few school records and a couple regional qualifying times and several season bests,” head coach Shelia Burrell said.

At the Mt. SAC Relays late Friday night, senior Whitney Ashley threw her career best in discus with a throw of 183 feet and 1 inch.

According to Ashley, this puts her at fifth in the country for discus.

“Shot put is my favorite event so I’m always excited to do that, but it just so happens that I’m actually doing better in the discus,” Ashley said.

Sophomore Shanieka Thomas hit the second-best triple jump mark in the U.S. on Saturday.

“She (Thomas) had an excellent meet,” Burrell said. “This is probably going to place her in the top five in the country.”

At the Beach Invitational, freshman Jasmine Burrell threw the discus a distance of 177 feet and 3 inches, which was a personal record.

Last Saturday, April 14, the Aztecs competed in the ASU-LSU-SDSU Tri-Meet in Tempe, Ariz.

At the Tri-Meet, Thomas won the triple jump, Ashley finished second in the discus throw and shot put, junior Josefine Koskinene finished second in the 1,500-meter run, freshman Maya Carter finished second in the 400 meter hurdles and sophomore Holly Waseloff finished third in the pole vault.

“We performed OK at the Tri-Meet, it wasn’t great,” Ashley said. “It was another meet to take in and build on and learn from.”

Next stop for the Aztecs will be the UCSD Invitational in La Jolla, April 27-28.

“We are a small team right now with some real quality athletes,” Burrell said. “I’m impressed with this group of girls because for being such a small team we compete with some real top-level programs that have more people than we do.”

Ashley, Thomas set pace