How to stay together while apart

Dustin Michelson, Senior Staff Photographer

Edward Henderson – Features Editor

Nicole Yi – Staff Writer

Amazing summers are made of sun-kissed days at the beach. However, a little summer romance can make the three-month pardon from homework and cram sessions a memorable one. One of the most important contributing factors to an unforgettable summer is whom you choose to spend it with. Inevitably, the moment arrives when lovers have to decide if their time together will be more than just a summer fling. There are key components to successfully extend your summer love into the school year and ways to end it without suffering the heartbreak.

The aspect of a long-distance relationship doesn’t appeal to everyone. San Diego State sophomore Taylor Carr believes that age plays a major factor in the success of a long-distance relationship.

“When you’re older and have a better sense of who you are, and you can be by yourself for a little while. If you’re young … you need more affection. You’re tooconcerned with seeing them and being with them,” Carr said.

SDSU senior Andre Miller believes the best way to end a summer fling is to try and part on good terms.

“I would say ‘things have been good with you and I appreciate my time with you but at this time in my life, I’m going in a different direction. I feel like I need to focus on me right now,’” Miller said.

Couples willing to put in the work have quite a few rules to abide by. Long-distance relationships are the toughest to survive and demand much more effort. However, trust in a relationship is similar to a fast pass for a ride. Without it, there is much more to endure and obtaining the ease your summer relationship once had is at the end of the line. Diminishing all insecurities is essential to a successful long-distance relationship. The dreaded “what if’s?” can drown out the positives of long distance, making the relationship more of a burden. The best strategy is to be as reassuring as possible and eliminate all doubtful or suspicious thoughts. However, couples should not be discouraged. If both are willing to commit, the obstacles are well worth the effort.

SDSU sophomore Ishdeep Bhamra has been dating his girlfriend, Kat, who goes to San Francisco State, for one year andeight months. Right before the start of their freshman year, there wasn’t even a need to discuss whether or not they’d remain together after summer. Bharma gave insight on how 500 miles apart is worth the struggle.

“Honestly, the key is trust. If you don’t have trust and someone gets excessively jealous or needy then that’s where the problems start,” Bhamra said. “You really can’t crack or cry everyday because it is just too hard. Otherwise the cracks will eventually cause a break.”

Distance puts things into perspective and even the most trivial activities once taken for granted become appreciated. Bhamra explains missing each other is the hardest part about being so far apart.

“Simple things like wanting to get dinner, go to the mall, watch a movie, just hang out, or literally

anything really, you start wishing they were there just doing it with you.”

Using Skype to compensate for the lack of face-to-face interaction aids the couple during the times. For these lovebirds, with a total of only three visits last year, temptation is not even a concern.

“To me I already have a beautiful girl who wants to be with me from 500 miles away and she cares more about me than anyone else,” Bharma said. “I’m sure temptation does get hard but if you easily swing and have no inhibition, ask yourself if long distance is the right thing for you.”

Remember, just because the end of vacation is drawing near, it doesn’t have to mean saying goodbye to your summer love. Going the distance may require time and dedication, but absence makes the heart grow fonder indeed.

How to stay together while apart