Washington takes down the Aztecs

Antonio Zaragoza, Editor in Chief

After a long, strenuous summer full of training and anticipation, the San Diego State Aztecs opened up their 2012 season against the University of Washington Huskies in Seattle. The high-speed Husky offense, led by junior quarterback Keith Price, was fresh off of a solid 2011 season, while the Aztecs entered the season with some question marks on both sides of the ball.

Saturday night’s game began with struggles for the Aztec offense. Senior quarterback Ryan Katz opened up the game with an interception, but continued to progress as the game went on. His mobility and swift maneuvering were keys for the Aztec offense all night.

Price, on the other hand, was solid from the opening whistle, throwing for 222 yards and one touchdown as the Huskies defeated the Aztecs, 21-12.

The Huskies jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter thanks to a rushing touchdown by sophomore running back Bishop Sankey and a touchdown catch by sophomore wide receiver Kasen Williams. SDSU took some time to find a rhythm. On a defensive miscommunication by the Huskies, Katz found a wide open junior wide receiver Tim Vizzi, who scored a 47-yard touchdown to make it 14-6 in favor of Washington. The reception was Vizzi’s first career touchdown.

The third quarter proved to be a deciding quarter in the game as the Huskies forced two fumbles against the Aztec offense, including scoring a 44-yard touchdown on a fumble recovery to make the score 21-6.

After two fourth down conversions, the Aztecs marched right back and responded with a 1-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Adam Muema.

After failing to execute a two-point conversion earlier in the game, the Aztecs would try again, but would ultimately come up unsuccessful.

Katz would finish the game with 128 yards and one touchdown through the air. Senior running back Walter Kazee led SDSU with 86 yards on nine carries, with Muema finished with 32 yards and one touchdown on 11 carries.

“That’s our identity,” Katz said. “That’s what we have been practicing all fall camp. To us, we don’t really think about it. We’ve been going for it on fourth down, we’ve been going for two every time during the scrimmages we’ve had. That was just the mindset we had going into this game.”

“I thought we showed some toughness in the second half,” SDSU head coach Rocky Long said. “I was very disappointed in the turnovers in the first half and I was very disappointed the way the defense played. We made a lot of mental errors and we’re not playing very aggressive. In the second half, we didn’t make as many mental errors and we were a heck of a lot more aggressive.”

The Aztecs drop to 0-1 on the season, while Washington starts 1-0. SDSU look to rebound at 4:30 p.m. this Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium against Army.

Washington takes down the Aztecs