What our writers suggest for night time

A Cinematic Experience

Lauren Yap, Staff Writer

Established in 1958, South Bay Drive-In Theatres provides a nostalgic escape for budget-conscious moviegoers. The three screens at South Bay showcase the latest Hollywood releases for a fraction of standard box office prices. The adult price of $7 or $1 for children grants patrons access to a double feature, but be advised this theater only accepts cash payment. The drive-in pairs complementary films together, usually movies of corresponding ratings and genres appealing to the same demographic. If patrons wish to watch only one movie, they are permitted to arrive or leave when they please. Additionally, South Bay recommends arriving one hour before the first feature or 30 minutes before the second feature to guarantee a good spot.

No need to sneak in snacks past the ticket-taker. While traditional theaters retain a monopoly on overpriced concessions, South Bay allows moviegoers to bring their own food inside. However, popcorn and other goodies are available on site.

San Diegans can catch flicks from the comfort of their vehicles and avoid the pitfalls of regular theaters, such as distracting people texting or talking. Simply tune a car stereo or portable radio to the designated channel for audio. Bring lawn chairs and blankets to get cozy with a date under the stars.

South Bay is open every night, seven days a week, rain or shine. Unbeatable prices and praiseful reviews on Yelp make this venue popular for all ages. Visit southbaydrivein.com for showtimes, coupons and directions.

UTC, place to be

David Dixon, Staff Writer

There are plenty of malls to visit in San Diego during the evening such as Fashion Valley and Horton Plaza, but Westfield University Town Center has experienced the biggest change in recent years.

The expansion of UTC started last year, and renovation will continue. People who have been to
UTC will realize that the more upscale Dining Terrace has recently replaced the old dank, dingy food court. Though famous chains such as Subway, Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill and Panda Express are located indoors, the Terrace also has lesser known restaurants. There are a variety of choices, including Royal India and Sarku Japan.

By the end of the year, ArcLight Cinemas will finally come to San Diego. I have been to the ArcLight in Hollywood, and the experience was amazing. The film presentation was excellent and the food quality rivaled the diverse treats found at Cinépolis and Landmark Theatres.

Another addition to UTC will be a 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport Club. According to U-T San Diego, it “will be triple the size of the existing club and have a swimming pool and full-size basketball court.”

UTC has always been a great place to visit, and with the changes the place will become an even more popular destination for San Diegans and SDSU students looking for something to do when taking an extended study break. Whether it is going in the afternoon to the delicious restaurant Tender Greens, window shopping at Tiffany & Co. or visiting after dark to try some Friday night ice-skating; UTC is, and will continue to be, a terrific place for diverse entertainment and excitement.

Information about UTC can be found at westfield.com/utc.

Sun Up, Sun Down

Isabella Place, Staff Writer

If you aren’t a San Diego native, then surely one of your top 10 reasons for moving here was to hang out at the beach. San Diego is home to coastal bliss. Just because summer is almost complete and your hectic class or work schedule doesn’t allow you to seek refuge during the day, fret no more, because beaches are open 24 hours. Experience proves even the wee hours of the night can be a haven for recreational activity in several of San Diego’s local beaches.

Have a beach cruiser to ride around campus? Why not really put it toward its intended use and cruise along the beach or bay on the miles of suitably paved paths. Even at night along Mission Beach boardwalk (by the rollercoaster) or the inner trail along Mission Bay are great alternatives to the gym. They are seemingly safe paths close to home, and well-lit to guide you through the night—but be warned, you will need lights on your bike. This is both for safety and to avoid a fix-it ticket from the cops, which in this city is no joke.

Mission Beach is also home to Belmont Park, a small amusement park housing the legendary Giant Dipper rollercoaster, as well as other carnival rides and games. Between the Wave House, the local Mission Bay bars
and the beach, Mission Beach is a great place to spend a relaxing afternoon. Just make sure to stick around to watch the sunset.

Stars On and Off Screen

Kevin Smead, Entertainment Editor

Everyone knows where his or her local multiplex is. I’m even willing to bet most people know where the majority of local multiplexes are, even if they’re not moviegoers. While these castles of cinema house the latest and not al- ways greatest films, smaller, locally owned establishments serve up late night cinematic treats that everyone can enjoy.

Built in 1912, Landmark Theatres Ken Cinema, also known as The Ken, has run films in San Diego for a century. While never letting a certain genre fully define the theater, Ken Cinema gained particular notoriety for its screenings of foreign and independent films. In the past decade, Ken Cin- ema has received numerous commendations from San Diego publications such as San Diego CityBeat, San Diego Reader and San Diego Magazine. Per- haps most notably, though, The Ken is San Diego’s last single-screen movie theater. Sometimes, it has midnight showings of classic films, which in the past included “Jurassic Park,” “The Big Lebowski,” “The Hunger Games” inspiration “Battle Royale” and even Tommy Wiseau’s post-modern classic “The Room.” The Ken may be a century old, but its tradition of excellent cin- ema at all hours of the day will remain timeless for centuries to come.

Unassumingly tucked between the best deep-dish pizza in town (see: Lefty’s Chicago Pizzeria) and a hair salon, Cinema Under The Stars plays classic films in a relaxed, open atmosphere. The name implies all one needs to know about this outdoor nighttime movie-watching experience. Patrons can enjoy a beautiful night sky and a great movie in one of the comfy zero gravity lounge chairs, which are all too easy to get sucked into. It’s slightly more expensive with $15 admission, but it’s the cost for luxury and experience. Upcoming features include “Indiana Jones and the Last Cru- sade” playing this weekend and Alfred Hitchcock classics “Rear Window” at the end of this month and “The Birds” in late October. If you have any inten- tion on attending, get tickets now for the theater is quite small and sells out quickly.

Finally, the ultimate destination for late-night cinema is a short drive up the coast to La Paloma Theater in Encinitas. What do they have that others do not? “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” of course. Every Friday at midnight, loyal fans do the time warp, time and time again. For only $9, this is the best line-reciting, item-throwing and innuendo-spewing night of enter- tainment around. For die-hard “Rocky Horror” fans and first-timers alike, La Paloma is the place to spend quality time with Dr. Frank-N-Furter when the clock strikes midnight.

All-night Party

Tori Haynes, Staff Writer

Brooke Schlyer, Staff Writer

San Diego’s Gaslamp District is famous for its nightlife, whether that means going to a bar to sip a cold brewski or rocking out to a concert at the House of Blues. For the real partygoers, nightclubs are the place to go wild. Some of San Diego’s best late-night party spots include Fluxx, Voyeur, Stingaree and Ivy Nightclub at Andaz, with each club offer- ing a unique experience so clubbers can enjoy a night they will never forget.

Stingaree, chosen as one of the hottest nightclubs in the country by Conde Nast Traveler, is one of the most well-known and reputable clubs in downtown San Diego. This year, Stingaree has been reinvented with the addition of Guesthouse as well as the introduction of several parties and performances. The nightclub often hosts high-profile events and launch parties for various organizations.

Stingaree recently launched two new and unique Sunday party concepts. Guesthouse Day Club launched in the winter and Revive launched in April, just in time for pool party season. “Our guests can always expect the top-notch service that Stingaree is known for as well as some of the best entertainment and parties around town,” Managing Partner of Stingaree Shane Brennan said. “From promotions like Revive to performances by both hip-hop artists and major house vocalists to various celebrity appearances, we always try to change it up to keep things new and fresh.”

New and fresh are indeed great words to describe the venue, along with trendy and glamorous. Multiple levels and various rooms make Stingaree feel much larger than it actually is. The well-lit and polished bar on the main level always seems to be the center of attention. It’s convenient having the option to go upstairs or step out on the rooftop to get away from the blasting music. The outdoor bar and lounge area tends to be the hangout spot of choice, where people engage in conversations beyond the standard two-minute small talk.

Fluxx, which opened in March 2010, is the newest of these nightclubs. Since opening its doors to the public, Fluxx has been named the best nightclub in San Diego two years in a row by NightClub and Bar and Lamplighter. The club offers its visitors a Vegas-style evening, with a venue setup much like a stadium including a 1,000 square ft. dance floor, with numerous chances to rub elbows with VIPs such as Snoop Dogg, Pamela Anderson, Ludacris and many more. The club is definitely considered poppin’ among college-age clubbers (if you’re a girl, you can sometimes manage cutting line or ditching cover). The dance floor is filled with cocktail tables starting at $20, making this venue best for special occasions when bottle service is involved.

The Ivy, located on the rooftop of the Andaz San Diego, features the city’s largest rooftop club where guests can enjoy a breathtaking panoramic view of San Diego’s beautiful skyline. Oversized chairs and cabanas add a sophisticated lounge feel, setting Ivy apart from other nightclubs. One thing to be aware of before you spend time trying to get on the guest list is Ivy tends to attract a somewhat older crowd than the typical 21-to-28-year-old bracket for most clubs downtown. Guests who are celebrating special events are en- couraged to choose the appropriate themed signature bottle services ranging from “The Bachelorette,” and “Let Them Eat Cake,” to “Make You Melt” and everyone’s favorite, “Endless Summer.” Going all out and celebrating in style makes the experience more memorable.

San Diego is the ultimate hot spot for an entertaining, yet classy, nightlife experience you’ll never forget. Whether you’re looking for an exciting night filled with dancing, a mel- low time sipping on cocktails with friends, or simply just looking for an excuse to dress up, downtown San Diego’s nightlife has just the perfect place for you.

No bar? No problem.

Jenna De Stefano, Staff Writer

Whether you have not yet reached the magical age of 21 or you just don’t consider yourself a drinker, there are plenty of late-night activities to do in San Diego besides visiting a bar. If you still feel the need to get a drink, grab a coffee instead and get your buzz on with java instead of beer. With the cooler autumn weather approaching, it’s sometimes preferable to meet at The Living Room Cafe, Lestat’s Coffee House or Rebecca’s Coffee House late at night rather than going to a bar or club.

The Living Room is always open until 1 a.m. and tucked away on El Cajon Boulevard near San Diego State, it provides a relaxed atmosphere for long discussions with friends. There’s no competing for conversation with blaring music and no crazy expensive cocktails to waste your money on; just some comfy couches and reasonably priced coffee and food. With a homey area inside and a simple patio outside, The Living Room is big enough to find your own little nook so you won’t disturb the students who are studying. If you want a more entertaining night, bring a couple games to play or a computer to share with your friends.

Lestat’s is open 24 hours a day and also provides a homey atmosphere, but it offers more entertainment if you’re looking to do something other than chatting. The Normal Heights location is usually busy weeknights with open mic performances, comedy acts and musicians which are usually open to all ages. If you’re looking solely for entertainment at Lestat’s, don’t get it confused with its other location on Park Boulevard. Although just as good with service and drinks, the Park location is usually filled with hard- core students who don’t want to be disturbed by conversation or live music. If you’re willing to travel a bit further, Rebecca’s Coffee House in South Park is one of San Diego’s most unique and inviting coffeehouses. Open late throughout the week, Rebecca’s stacks its event calendar with open mic and spoken word nights and other events featuring musicians and writers. Even when there’s no event scheduled, Rebecca’s is a fun place to visit at night to people-watch or meet some of its most eclectic and unique clientele.

Gathering around a table of foamy coffee mugs with a couple friends can easily replace gathering around a pitcher of beer if you give it a chance. Besides, it’s better to drive home buzzed on coffee than buzzed on alcohol.

What our writers suggest for night time