Voting process made easier

MCT Campus

The last few years revealed the power of the Internet and how it has changed communication. Social media propelled revolution in the Middle East, online dating persists with one site holding as many as 1.78 million paid subscribers and recently, online video sharing has facilitated interaction and confrontation between both hemispheres of the world. The Internet’s ammenities continue to grow and as of the 2012 U.S. elections, California residents will be able to register to vote online.

“I think this change is most important for the younger generation because we are very technologically based” business management senior Michael Manacop said.

The online registration system was made available last week. To register, applicants simply fill out an online form at registertovote.ca.gov. The method of identification is simple. A California driver’s license or identification number is needed in order to submit an electronic signature. Applicants must include their date of birth and the last four digits of their Social Security numbers.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Arizona was the first state to implement online voting registration in 2002. Voter registrations increased by 9.5 percent in Arizona from 2002 to 2004.

In July, Washington became the first state in the nation to allow residents to register to vote via a Facebook app, according to the Huffington Post. Paper registration forms are still available at county election offices and some public libraries and post offices.

According to the California Voter Foundation, about 28 percent of the 23.7 million eligible voters in California are not yet registered. The deadline for voter registration is Oct. 22, 15 days prior to the Nov. 6 generalelection.

“Even having the ability to actually vote online would be something cool to have someday in the future,” Manacop said.

Voting process made easier