Editor’s picks

Courtesy True North

True North

Heather Rushall, Web Editor

Nothing beats the winning combination of beer and bar food. In San Diego, there are plenty of places to choose from to get your fix. Tucked away conveniently in the heart of North Park is a place like no other, where the tater tots kick your taste buds in the butt and the bartenders leave you drooling.

Open until 2 a.m. every day, True North Tavern is a must-see tavern for just about any occasion. Its 25 high-definition TVs make watching sports almost as good as being at the game, while live music and DJs frequently transform the sports bar into a nightclub.

True North Tavern features two full bars, two outdoor patios and several pool tables – and the bartenders are hot enough to make you tip twice.

An extended happy hour ensures a pleasant end to a long workday. From noon to 7 p.m. every day of the week, all draft beers, wine and spirits are $1 off with daily food and drink specials available.

Get to the tavern on Monday for Trivia Night, Wednesday for deals on amazing bar food and hit up Thirsty Thursday with your student ID and get a shot and a beer for only $6, plus food specials.

The tavern also hosts private parties available, which feature custom menus, a private bar, outdoor seating and full-service catering.

Whatever the reason, get down to True North Tavern, scope the ladies and sip some strong drinks.

Thomas Skov, Staff Photographer

Miller’s Field

Ryan Schuler, Sport Editor

Do you like sports, beer, widescreen televisions and good food? What about coeds running around hav- ing a good time? If you answered yes to these questions, I know the perfect bar for you: Miller’s Field in Pacific Beach.

Located on Mission Boulevard, Miller’s Field is the best spot to watch football games in the fall. The place has great drink specials, including 32-ounce mason jars and quality shots priced as low as $3. Lets not forget the food. The service is usually pretty quick and the staff is always friendly. Personally, I like The Californian burger, which is decently priced and a good size, but the menu has a lot of options so you can take your pick.

I also like that Miller’s is a big place. It has two stories, so there’s plenty of seating and room to walk around, not to mention the top floor is only partially covered – great for enjoy- ing the beautiful San Diego weather while admiring the ocean view. But the best thing about Miller’s is the atmosphere. Bar- goers are usually in their mid-20s and are there to watch their favorite football team. And with 38 TVs, there’s a very good chance that the game you’re looking for will be on. If there’s a big game or UFC fight happening, be ready for a crowd and get there early.

If you’re in PB this weekend, you can expect to see me there.

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

Soda Bar

J. Hutton Marshall, Managing Editor

Like nearly all San Diego State students, I to have a good time on weekends, but I don’t like how expensive San Diego nightlife tends to be. It’s a dilemma that often leads to an empty bank account and staying home while crying oneself to sleep over a cold bowl of Top

Ramen and trying to forget about friends currently having fun at a cool bar in LA watching Pretty Lights. I’m speaking generally here.

However, there is hope for us light-walleted night owls. Soda Bar is one such hope.

Usually featuring live music every day of the week, Soda Bar runs through some of the  best San Diego locals while still managing to bring in some out-of-town talent looking to play a small, intimate show. Best of all, it’s down-to-earth. Its got relatively inexpensive drinks, rarely a cover you’ll sweat about and an eclectic mix of San Diegans looking to have a good time without selling organs to pay for drinks.

What’s more, they have NFL Blitz ’98 (I think it’s ’98, but that’s kind of a guess, although it’s old enough to be nostalgic) and Street Fighter 2, along with some other arcade games I care less about. They’ve also got a pool table, but there’s no interesting way to tell you that.

Dustin Michelson, Senior Staff Photographer

Bar Dynamite

Tara Millspaugh, News Editor

Bar Dynamite doesn’t seem too impressive from the outside. But once you step indoors, the whole place seems to grow. Bar Dyna- mite seems full anytime there is a local band playing. The music ranges from hip-hop to house music and even a little reggae. Every Tuesday and Wednesday, there is some sort of event with artist performances and special deals. But if you’re looking for a crowded room and people dancing the running man then, be sure to check the place out on Fridays and Saturdays.

Because the bar is quite small, connoisseurs may need to step outside and get some fresh air every now and then. Luckily, Bar Dynamite is in a prime location off Washington Street. It’s right next to the famous Lucha Libre Taco Shop. The owners allow outside food, so if customers are tired from dancing, they can grab a taco and bring it to the bar. Those looking to pick up a date or meet someone new may not find success at Bar Dynamite. Despite all of that, good music is always guaranteed.

Hamilton’s

Leonardo Castaneda

Surrounded by houses and half a block from a Jehovah’s Witness church, Hamilton’s Tavern isn’t in the hottest part of town. Maybe this is why the small bar in the heart of South Park manages to maintain a fun, laid-back atmosphere every night of the week. The bar is a connoisseur’s delight, featuring a constantly changing selection of craft beers. But do not fear, my Pabst Blue Ribbon-sipping friends, the low prices make it easy to experiment on a budget.

The walls and roof of the small bar are covered in beer advertisements and old beer tap handles. Early birds and diligent patrons can snatch one of the two pool tables crammed in the middle of weekend crowds and the luckiest few will take their place at the shuffleboard table running along the wall. The secret to Hamiltons’ success may be its small cafe next door. Open until 12 a.m. most weekend nights, it offers the perfect accompaniments to your IPA, including a vegan Cattle Decapitation-inspired burger. You don’t even have to put down your drink to order. A small window cut into the back corner wall lets you order conveniently and directly into the kitchen.

For a treat you can’t get anywhere else, buy a plate of tater tots with a side of unique beer-cheese dip. End the night on a sweet note with a Lindemans Framboise raspberry lambic.

El Camino

Ana Ceballos, Assistant News Editor

It will be no coincidence if you find yourself wandering around Little Italy and the words “El Camino” in flashing pink neon lights entice you into the restaurant. I’m sorry, but it’s bound to happen. It happened to me. Once inside, you will encounter an ambiance resembling a Robert Rodriguez movie. (If a movie could ever be a restaurant with wall décor and spotless bathrooms that is.)

It was a Tuesday when I first stepped foot in this restaurant and I was not disappointed. Tacos were half off and margaritas were just the way I like them– sweet and strong–and only $3. And do not get me started on the salsas, because I finished the last drop of that piquant taste.

El Camino is a great place to have a tasty drink while you get lost in the restaurant’s decor. And men, my male friends always rave about how “all the hot girls in San Diego” hang out at El Camino. As for the ladies, well, there is good music, pretty wallpaper and always delicious drinks.

Editor’s picks