Career fair offers opportunities

The San Diego State Career Services held the “Fall Career and Internships Fair,” on the North Love Library terrace last Thursday. More than 90 companies and corporations were present to recruit future employees and to give information to students seeking internships or jobs after graduation. SDSU Career Services counselor Chris Turntine said the purpose of the fair is to make an early connection with students to local indus- tries and agencies such as SeaWorld, Target and various law enforcement agencies.

“This is a great opportunity for students to get out and meet some of the industry leaders in the community and talk about future employment. We have this fair every semester and we have seen it grow over the years,” Turntine said. “Last year there were about 70 vendors and this year there are over 90.”

SDSU Career Services recommends students attend the “Networking a Career Fair” workshop where students receive training on how to prepare and get the most out of career fairs. The workshop includes tips on how to approach employers that appear to be unrelated to students’ majors, communicating personal purposes and making a strong first impressions.

Graduate student Michelle Rusin said she makes it a point to always go to the fairs held on campus.

“I think it’s important to go to these events as many times as you can, even if you don’t see vendors that you think apply to what you want to do,” Rusin said. “Get in there and talk to as many as you can and you would be surprised at the different types of positions many companies are trying to fill and definitely get yourself as prepared as possible.”

Career fair offers opportunities