Aztecs are no match for Fresno State

Katie Foster, Staff Photographer

It was another showdown of California state schools. Both San Diego State and Fresno State entered Saturday’s game at an even 2-2 record. Coming off of a rough, last-minute loss to San Jose State last week, the Aztecs hoped for a fast start against the Bulldogs in the fifth game of the season. But the efforts fell short as the Bulldogs defeated the Aztecs by a score of 52-40.

The game was off to a quick start as the Aztecs leapt out to an early 14-0 lead in the first six minutes, with the help of a 5-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Adam Muema, followed by a 32-yard interception return for a touch- down by junior defensive back Eric Pinkins.

The Bulldogs immediately cut the early deficit in half with a short goal line touchdown from running back Robbie Rouse. With only one minute left in the first quarter, Muema crossed the goal line for the second time in the game with a 27-yard touchdown run. The game got off to a fast start and remained at that pace throughout.

However, the second quar- ter belonged to the Bulldogs. Quarterback Derek Carr led Fresno State to 27 straight points beginning with a touch- down run by Rouse. Carr later connected with his receivers, Josh Harper and Rashad Ev- ans, for three more touchdown passes. The half came to an end after a blocked point-after attempt by SDSU senior place- kicker Chance Marden. The blocked kick was returned down the field for another two points, giving the Bulldogs a 36-27 edge at the half.

The shootout continued in the second half, as both teams traded scores. Coming out of the half, the Aztecs connected on an 8- yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Ryan Katz to senior wide receiver Brice Butler. This was quickly followed by a 96- yard interception return for a touchdown by senior defensive back Leon McFadden, giving SDSU a 40-36 lead. This was McFadden’s third consecutive week with an interception, two of which have been returned for touchdowns.

Halfway through the third quarter, Fresno State regained the lead at 43-40, when Carr found Isaiah Burse for a 31-yard touchdown pass. The Bulldogs ended the day’s scoring with a field goal and Carr’s fifth touchdown of the day. He finished the day going 42-for-56 for 536 yards passing and five touchdown passes.

The Aztecs walked away from another high scoring duel with a heartbreaking loss. The defense struggled throughout and Katz seemed unable to get into his weekly rhythm as he had 160 yards passing with two touchdowns and three interceptions. He was sacked five times, which forced him to use his mobility throughout the game, with a game-leading 89 rushing yards. Although the defense had its woes, Muema scored two touchdowns to go along with 64 yards rushing.

The Aztecs drop to 2-3 on the season and 0-1 in conference play, but will face the University of Hawai’i Warriors on Saturday at Aztec Warrior Stadium, Qualcomm Stadium.

Aztecs are no match for Fresno State