Food drive fights hunger

Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

San Diego State students are participating in the fight against hunger. Colleges Rock Hunger is a food drive campaign collecting donations for the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank meant to feed San Diego’s hungry. Aztecs are competing against University of California San Diego, Point Loma Nazarene University and California State University San Marcos to raise money and the most pounds of food.

All donations for Colleges Rock Hunger go to the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank, which feeds more than 350,000 people in San Diego County each month. Even so, the number of people in need is increas- ing, making donations even more vital. Each dollar contributed is the equivalent of donating 3.84 pounds of food, which is enough to provide three meals.

Despite the competitive aspect, Colleges Rock Hunger is an opportunity for college students to come together and make every dollar count.

To donate, Aztecs can drop off non- perishable food in the red bins located around campus, give money at Aztec Markets or any San Diego State Dining Services location, contribute food or money at any Aztec home football game during the month of October; bring donations to the Associated Students of SDSU booth at the BOO! Parade and Carnival on Oct. 27 or provide a monetary donation using the SDSU Virtual Pantry.

Students and faculty are encouraged to participate in this effort to help the community and contribute what they can.

“It’s humbling to see that you can make a difference,” A.S. Vice President of Finance Eric Anderberg said. “It hits so close to home. It’s the families, veterans and people in the community that you would never expect who are struggling.”

SDSU’s goal this year is to gather 100,000 pounds of food by Oct. 28, the last day of the Aztecs Rock Hunger food drive. At the first home football game alone, Aztecs collected more than 6,000 pounds of food. Anderberg said SDSU is well on the way to achieving its goal.

Since the Colleges Rock Hunger campaign and competition started in 2008, SDSU has been the champion, and this could be its fifth consecutive year taking first place.

“I really think that’s something SDSU students can pride them- selves on,” Anderberg said.

SDSU has successfully and consistently surpassed its food drive goals. Anderberg believes Aztecs are strongly motivated, not only to win the intercollegiate compe- tition, but to reach SDSU’s new goal and help feed hungry San Di- egans.

For more information, please visit as.sdsu.edu/rocks-hunger

Food drive fights hunger