Aztecs earn a No. 2 seed

Women’s soccer earns No. 2 seed in NCAA Tournament

The No. 4 San Diego State women’s soccer team earned a No. 2 seed in the 2012 NCAA Tournament. The seed is the highest ever in team history and in Mountain West Conference history.

“To have some home games in the NCAA Tournament is something we’ve been working toward for years and of course all season,” SDSU head coach Mike Friesen said.

The Aztecs, who won the MWC regular season and tournament championships, will host Cal State Northridge at 7 p.m. on Saturday at the SDSU Sports Deck.

Midway game moved to Sunday

The Northrop Grumman Presents Battle on the Midway between No. 9 Syracuse and No. 20 San Diego State has been moved to 1 p.m. on Sunday. The game, which was moved from Friday because of weather concerns, will be played on the flight deck of the USS Midway Museum.

“The purpose of the game is to play it on the Midway,” SDSU head coach Steve Fisher said. “So that’s what we want to almost guarantee that we can have happen. So, the only reason we’re moving it from Friday to Sunday is to guarantee the fact that we’ll play it on the Midway.”

As a result, the SDSU vs. San Diego Christian game, which was originally scheduled for Sunday night, has moved to 7 p.m. on Tuesday at Viejas Arena.

Swimming and diving ranked 25th

The SDSU swimming and diving team was ranked 25th in the College Swimming Coaches Association of America’s first poll of the 2012- 13 season. This comes just days after the team was ranked No. 16 in the season’s first Endless Pools/ CollegeSwimming.com Top 25 poll. The Aztecs most recently defeated New Mexico, Colorado State and New Mexico State in a triple dual meet in Albuquerque, N.M. during this past weekend to improve to 5-0 overall on the season and 3-0 in Mountain West competition.

Aztecs earn a No. 2 seed