Peabody’s brings noise

Peabodys brings noise

San Diego State students are having various reactions to the recently-opned coffee stand in the 24/7 Study Area in Love Library.

On Nov. 15, Peabody’s Organic Coffee opened its fifth coffee cart on campus. While some students are finding the new location in the library convenient, others have complained about the noise it creates while studying.

Business junior Nick Quines said he studies in the 24/7 Study Area daily. Since the opening of the new Peabody’s coffee stand, he’s found alterative locations.

“About a week ago, I was here studying and sitting near the coffee shop, but I had to move toward downstairs because it was too noisy for me trying to study for an exam,” Quines said. “It was messing with my concentration.”

Quines, who said he loves the company and drinks a morning cup of Peabody’s coffee daily, said he understands that it’s convenient for students to grab a quick snack and drink in the library.

Peabody’s employee and theatre arts senior Anna Krieg has been a Peabody’s barista for more than a year. Despite the noise, Krieg said a coffee cart in the library is beneficial to students.

“I think it’s a good thing. I understand how it can bother people, but I think in the end people are going to appreciate it because we make good coffee,” Krieg said. “I listen to music when I study anyways, so the noise wouldn’t bother me.”

Since 2006, Peabody’s has occupied outdoor coffee carts at SDSU. In addition to the new library location, Peabody’s four other coffee stands are located outside on Peterson Gym, Campanile Walkway, on Hardy Avenue across from Calpulli Center and near Education and Business Administration building. Even with Peabody’s new library location, SDSU library rules to keep food and drinks away from library computers still apply.

Peabody’s brings noise