$3 mil donation gives Storm Hall new name

San Diego State’s College of Arts and Letters was granted a $3 million donation last month from two continued decade-long supporters.

World War II veteran Charles W. Hostler and his wife Chinyeh Hostler have continued to donate to the Charles W. Hostler Institute on World Affairs, a campus forum used to discuss the  critical global issues, which also grants undergraduate and graduate students stipends to Hostler Fellows involved in research related to world affairs. Along with Hostler’s support for the College of Arts and Letters, international speakers are invited to campus through the SDSU Institute of World Affairs. Guest speakers include, ambassadors from many countries such as Brazil, China, Germany, India, Nigeria and Pakistan.

SDSU’s College of Arts and Letters Dean Paul Wong said how appreciative he is for Hostler’s support and for students’ opportunity to learn from bringing their actual studies to life. He also said he was grateful for Hostler’s support giving students the best learning experiences possible. SDSU acknowledged Hostler’s achievements in 2010 with an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree. As a tribute to Hostler’s continued support, SDSU’s new West building of Storm Hall will be named the Charles W. Hostler Building, which will open in January 2015.

Storm and Nasatir halls, which have been awaiting renovations for a long time, are estimated to cost $73 million. The project will receive approximately $62.8 million of funded from state construction funds, along with non-state funding support, which is expected to be about $10.2 million, according to SDSU NewsCenter.

The project completion is expected to end by January 2015. For more information about Hostler’s gift, visit SDSU’s NewsCenter at universe.sdsu.edu.