Is this year’s Coachella worth your money?

With the release of the Coachella  Valley Music and Arts Festival lineup, dudes looking to break the ice with that cute girl in their accounting, business, physics, etc. class can breathe a sigh of relief. The awkward, “Uh, so, what classes are you taking?” question can now be replaced with, “So, what do you think of the Coachella lineup this year?” It shows that you’re “hip,”  “with it” and have a vested interest in their taste. I’m no Love Guru, but trust me, it’s way less awkward than the class thing.

Now, I’m going to do something no guy looking to make a new friend ever should: ask you a question and then respond with what I think first. So, uh, hey guys, what do you think of the new Coachella lineup?

This is the part where I cut you off, just as you’re about to speak.

Honestly, I’m a bit disappointed. I mean, not like I ever go to Coachella, but I hoped for something… better? More exciting? I don’t know. It’s not like I wouldn’t be super pumped to see blur, or Modest Mouse, or the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Oh, wait, what? That’s just Friday? Huh.

Well, I guess Saturday has Phoenix, Sigur Rós, and The Postal Service. All of those are…

Oh, hey! New Order.

I’m definitely a fan of New Order. I still think a decent number of people know them as “They had that song from the Target commercials.” Still, I’d love to be there when people go apes**t when it starts playing “Ceremony.”

Alright, so Saturday’s not bad.

Sunday has the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which in all seriousness is kind of unfortunate. I don’t think it’s been relevant since, I don’t know, 2003, maybe 2004? RHCP recently lost its guitarist, John Frusciante, and I’m pretty positive Anthony Kiedis is still about as weird as they come, so expectations are mixed. Maybe he’ll freak out and be the “Tupac-o-gram/HoloPac” story of this year.

Even if that doesn’t happen, Sunday still has bands such as The Faint, Dinosaur Jr. and Vampire Weekend. Not bad in my book. And oh, what’s this?

The Wu-Tang Clan?

Wow, apparently Sunday ain’t nothin’ to f**k with.

So, I guess this year’s Coachella lineup is pretty alright after all. I’m still not sure if it’s worth the hundreds of dollars, the heat, and having some girl drunkenly screaming the lyrics to every Vampire Weekend song in your ear, though. I guess that’s up to you, though 2 Chainz may be worth the price of admission alone.

Oh, sorry, what were you saying?

Check out this year’s full lineup below, and stick with The Daily Aztec as we spotlight some bands coming this year, starting tomorrow.