Aztecs to butt heads with tough CSU team

02_13_13_Sports_Mbball#11_MLFrontcourt 

Aztecs: For most of this season, the Aztecs have had trouble finding consistency in their frontcourt play. Neither  starting sophomore forward  JJ O’Brien or senior forward DeShawn Stephens averages double figures in scoring and rebounding. The Aztecs have relied heavily on junior guard Jamaal Franklin to score and rebound, leading the team in both categories with 17.5 points per game while grabbing 9.5 rebounds.

Rams: The heart and soul of the Rams comes from 6-foot-10 senior center Colton Iverson, a transfer from the University of Minnesota. So far this season at Colorado State, Iverson has exploded in the high altitude, averaging a career high of 13.8 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. Prior to transferring to CSU this season, Iverson averaged 5.3 points and 4.3 rebounds per game in three seasons at the University of Minnesota. Along with Iverson, senior forward Greg Smith averages scoring in double figures, and is coming off a career game against Nevada, when he scored 28 points and grabbed 12 rebounds.

Edge: Rams

Backcourt 

Aztecs: It’s no secret that the guard play for the Aztecs is the strength of the team. Starting junior point guard Xavier Thames, who has been nursing an injured back, hasn’t started the last six games and has played limited minutes. Senior shooting guard James Rahon has started in place of Thames, picking up his play averaging 14.6 points within the last three games. Senior guard Chase Tapley played his best game in conference play against the Rams earlier this season, while Franklin is an all-around threat, recently surpassing 1,000 points with 500 rebounds as an Aztec.

Rams: Senior guards Dorian Green and Wes Eikmeier lead the backcourt for the Rams, with combined averages of 28.6 points and 4.4 assists per game. While their averages seem noteworthy, Green struggled the last time he faced the Aztecs, scoring just 2 points on 1 of 9 shooting from the field.

Edge: Aztecs

Coaching

Aztecs: Head coach Steve Fisher is currently in his 14th season at SDSU and knows this is a tough week for the Aztecs, as they travel to CSU and UNLV. He knows what it’s going to take for his team to play in a difficult environment. Expect the Aztecs to be ready, especially with the Rams only a half-game in front on the Aztecs in conference standings.

Rams: Head coach Larry Eustachy had an impressive career with 21 seasons of head coaching experience in NCAA Division I basketball. He’s as emotional and fiery as coaches come.

Edge: Aztecs

Intangibles

Aztecs: Last season, the Aztecs were out rebounded in Fort Collins, Colo. 37-27, in addition to falling to the Rams 77-60. The real question is how many minutes Thames will be able to play. Rahon will need to continue his scoring surge if Thames is still limited.

Rams: The Rams are hot. Since losing to SDSU on Jan. 12, the Rams are 6-1, including 4-0 at home. In the game against the Aztecs on Montezuma Mesa, CSU was down by 18 points at halftime, but still managed to tie the game to force overtime. The only four losses for the Rams this season have been away games, so the team remains undefeated at home. There’s no doubt the momentum will definitely be with the Rams in Fort Collins before the start of this game.

Edge: Rams

Prediction

Rams 76, Aztecs 74