Love Campaign supports LGBTQ community

02_14_13_News_LoveCampaign_DMThe Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Student Union and Student Life and Leadership teamed up to host the Love Campaign, promoting marriage equality because of Valentine’s Day.

The event, which took place by the flagpole in front of Hepner Hall, gave students a chance to make Valentine’s Day cards for that special someone free of charge. The group wanted to highlight a message that “love is gender-blind.”

The LGBT community is trying to target the younger generations, because they tend to be more open-minded about same-sex marriage.

Some students were drawn in by popular love songs played on loudspeakers and were encouraged to stay to make Valentine’s Day cards. Students also had a chance to learn about different topics concerning same-sex marriage through guest speakers and a table of informative handouts.

Although LGBTSU is open to all students, the organization is trying to reach out to those within the LGBT community, who may not have known about the club before.

The LGBTSU president and business administration senior Michael Manacop said the event was meant to let members of the LGBT community know they are not alone at San Diego State.

“A lot of college students are broke, so we are providing a fun way for people to make Valentine’s Day cards while also reaching out to the rest of the LGBT community,” Manacop said.

The Love Campaign is part of increased efforts by LGBTSU and LGBTQ Advisory Board to host at least one event at SDSU’s campus each month promoting marriage equality and spreading awareness of their presence on campus.

The goal of LGBTSU is to provide a safe environment for students and community members of all sexual orientations, identities, genders, ethnicities, ages, faiths, belief systems and cultures.

Love Campaign supports LGBTQ community